(单词翻译:单击)
小故事
Elephant vs. Ants Soccer Game
大象对蚂蚁的足球赛
It was a boring Sunday afternoon in the jungle so the elephants decided to challenge the ants to a game of soccer.
星期天的下午太无聊了,于是大象向蚂蚁提出踢一场足球赛。
The game was going well with the elephants beating the ants, when the ants gained possession.
比赛进展顺利,大象队赢球,这时,蚂蚁队控球。
The ants' star player was dribbling the ball towards the elephants' goal when the elephant's left back came lumbering towards him. The elephants trod on the little ant, killing him instantly.
蚂蚁队的明星球员将球带向大象队的球门,大象队的左后卫沉重地跑过来。它一脚踩到蚂蚁身上,当场把它踩死了。
The referee stopped the game, "What the hell do you think you're doing? Do you call that sportsmanship, killing another player?"
裁判终止了比赛。“你到底在做什么?你认为杀死一名对手是体育精神吗?”
The elephant replied, "Well, I didn't mean to kill him-I was just trying to trip him up."
大象答道:“我不是故意的,我只是想把绊倒。”
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. go well
一切顺利;进展顺利;
eg. If you could bring forward any evidence, all would go well.
如果你能拿出证据来,一切就解决了。
eg. May everything go well with you in the new year!
祝你在新的一年里万事如意!
2. tread on
踩;踏;践踏;
eg. Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to tread on your foot.
哦,对不起,我不是故意踩你脚的。
eg. I had white rugs on the floor, but people were scared to tread on them in case they marked.
我在地板上铺了白色小地毯,但大家都不敢往上踩,以免在上面留下脚印。
3. what the hell
(用以加强语气或咒骂)究竟,到底;
eg. Kay blazed out at him. "What the hell does that mean?
恺憋了一肚子闷气,突然向他爆发出来:“这话到底是什么意思?”
eg. He makes random guesses, and then wonders what the hell has happened.
他在心中打闷雷,想着这到底是怎么回事。
4. mean to do sth.
有意;故意做某事;
eg. I didn't mean to leave her name off the list; it was an oversight.
我不是有意在名单上漏掉她的名字的,这是个疏忽。
eg. didn't mean to startle you.
我不是存心要吓唬你。
5. trip up
使绊;将…绊倒; 使跌倒;
eg. He made a sudden dive for Uncle Jim's legs to try to trip him up.
他突然扑向吉姆叔叔的双腿,想要把他绊倒。
eg. He was tripped up by a passer-by.
他被一个路人绊倒了。