(单词翻译:单击)
小故事
An A Student
优秀学生
Last semester I took macroeconomics and didn't have a clue what I was doing (as cited on the final exam.)
上学期我选修了宏观经济学,我对此完全一无所知(以期末考试为证)。
There were 80 multiple choice questions. For some reason I decided to play the game of probability and choose the letter "A" for everything.
考题包括80道选择题。出于某种心理我决定玩一下概率游戏,所有的题我都选了“A”作答案。
In that game, the only thing probable was that I failed.
在这场游戏中惟一的可能性就是我会考试不及格。
The following day, the professor asked to see me after class.
第二天地,教授要我课后去见他。
"Is everything okay?"
“你还好吗?”
"Sure," I said.
“当然,”我答。
"Why? Well, here's your test," he said and handed me a piece of paper that was covered with red ink. "Can you explain why you chose an 'A' for everything?"
“那么,为什么?这是你的试卷,”他说着,递给我一张满篇都是红笔印记的卷子。“你能给我解释一下为什么每道题都选‘A’吗?”
Knowing that there was nothing I could do at this point, I said, "Well, I've always wanted to be an 'A' student."
我知道这时我什么也做不了,只好说:“这个吗,是因为我一直都想做个‘A’(优)等生”。
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. not have a clue
不知道;一无所知;
eg. I didn't have a clue what she was thinking.
我不知道她在想什么。
eg. I haven't had a clue what I was doing all day.
我也不知道我今天一天都在做什么。
2. for some reason
不知为何;不知什么原因;
eg. For some reason, the curtains were shut.
不知什么原因,窗帘拉着。
eg. For some inexplicable reason she was attracted to Patrick.
因为某些无法解释的原因,她被帕特里克所吸引。
3. be covered with
被…覆盖;
eg. The road was covered with fir needles.
这条路上铺满了冷杉针叶。
eg. The fields were all covered with pure white snow.
白雪皑皑,铺满田野。
4. at this point
此时; 在这个时候;
eg. At this point the writer puts in a flashback.
作者在这里安插了一段倒叙。
eg. At this point nothing can pep him up.
现在什么也不能使他振奋起来。