小故事背诵达人 第346期:My Wife Told Me to Do So
日期:2013-11-22 18:56

(单词翻译:单击)

小故事

My Wife Told Me to Do So
我妻子让我这样做的
Standing at the Pearly Gates of Heaven, Martin noticed signs pointing to two paths. One was marked "Women" and the other marked "Men".
站在天国之门前,马丁注意到两块标牌分别指向两条路:一块上书“女人”,另一块上书“男人”。
He took the path assigned to men and then came upon two more gates.
马丁选择了男人的那条路,来到两扇门前。
The right-hand gate had a sign that read "Men Who Were Dominated by Their Spouses"; the other gate read "Men Who Were Boss and Dominated Their Spouses".
右边的门上有一块牌子上写着“受妻子支配的男人”;左边的门上写着“支配妻子的男人”。
The first gate had an endless line of guys waiting, but only one little guy stood before the male domination gate.
右边的门前排了长长的一队,而左边的门前就只站着一个小个子。
Martin was undecided, so he walked up to the little guy standing all alone and asked, "Why are you standing at this gate?"
马丁拿不定主意,就走到孤零零站着的小个子跟前问道:“你为什么站在这扇门前?”
The smallish fellow replied, "I haven't a clue. My wife told me to do stand here."
小个子答道:“我也不知道。我妻子让我站这儿的。”

重点讲解

重点讲解:
1. point to
指向;朝向;
eg. You can go anywhere and still the compass points north or south.
无论走到哪里,罗盘仍然指向北或南。
eg. He controlled the car until it was pointing forwards again.
他稳住车子,直到它又朝前开去。
2. come upon
偶然碰到(或发现);产生(某种态度或感觉);
eg. I came upon an irresistible item at a yard sale.
在一次庭院拍卖会上,我偶然发现了一个忍不住想买的东西。
eg. A sense of impending doom came upon all of us.
我们所有人都有一种大难临头的感觉。
3. have sb. doing sth.
是指让某人一直做某事,强调动作的持续性、连续性或者动作的反复性;
eg. He had us laughing during the lunchtime.
他让我们在午饭期间一直笑个不停。
eg. You’d better have your car running slowly.
你最好把车子开慢点。
4. tell sb. to do sth.
叫;命令;吩咐;建议某人做某事;
eg. A passer-by told the driver to move his car so that it was not causing an obstruction.
一个过路人叫那个司机把他的车挪一挪,免得挡道。
eg. She told me on the telephone to come help clean the house.
她在电话里叫我过去帮忙打扫屋子。
5. haven't a clue
不知道;一无所知;
eg. I haven't a clue what I'll give Carl for his birthday next year.
我不知道明年卡尔过生日我该送什么。
eg. Children today haven't a clue about nature.
今天的孩子对自然没有一点印象。

分享到
重点单词
  • impendingadj. 逼迫的,迫切的,即将发生的 动词impend的
  • dominationn. 支配,控制,管辖 (复数)dominations:
  • controlledadj. 受约束的;克制的;受控制的 v. 控制;指挥;
  • compassn. 指南针,圆规 vt. 图谋,包围,达成
  • obstructionn. 障碍,妨碍,闭塞
  • havenn. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,