小故事背诵达人 第457期:Race Records
日期:2014-05-13 16:33

(单词翻译:单击)

小故事

Race Records
赛跑记录
Some race horses staying in a stable. One of them starts to boast about his track record.
几匹赛马在马厩里,其中一匹开始吹嘘自己的赛绩。
"In the last 15 races, I've won 8 of them!"
“在过去的15场马赛中,我赢了8场!”
Another horse breaks in, "Well, in the last 27 races, I've won 19!"
另一匹马插进来说:“在过去27场中我赢了19场!”
"Oh that's good, but in the last 36 races, I've won 28!" says another, flicking his tail.
“哦,还不错,不过在过去的36场中,我赢了28场!”又一匹赛马呼扇着尾巴,加进来说道。
At this point, they notice that a greyhound dog has been sitting there listening.
这时,它们注意到一只猎犬坐在那儿听它们说话。
"I don't mean to boast," says the greyhound, "but in my last 90 races, I've won 88 of them!"
“我可不是吹牛,”猎犬说:“在我参加过的90场比赛中,我赢了88场!”
The horses are clearly amazed.
马们显而易见地很吃惊。
"Wow!" says one, after a hushed silence. "A taling dog."
“哇!”一匹马在一阵死寂后说,“一只会说话的狗。”

重点讲解

重点讲解:
1. boast about
吹嘘;炫耀;夸耀;
eg. Carol boasted about her costume.
卡萝尔炫耀着自己的穿着打扮。
eg. He was boasting about how brave he was at the start, but copped out (of it) at the finish.
他起初夸耀自己勇敢,到头来却打了退堂鼓。
2. break in
打断;插嘴;
eg. O'Leary broke in on his thoughts.
奥利里打断了他的思路。
eg. 'She told you to stay here,' Mike broke in.
“她叫你呆在这儿,”迈克插嘴说。
3. mean to do sth.
计划;打算;准备做某事;
eg. I don't mean to disparage your achievements.
我并不想贬低你的成就。
eg. I mean to go to bed earlier tonight.
今晚我想早些睡觉。

分享到
重点单词
  • trackn. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲 v. 跟踪,追踪
  • stableadj. 稳定的,安定的,可靠的 n. 马厩,马棚,一批
  • disparagevt. 蔑视,贬损
  • silencen. 沉默,寂静 vt. 使安静,使沉默
  • costumen. 服装,剧装 vt. 提供服装,为 ... 设计服装
  • boastv. 吹牛,自夸,说大话 n. 自吹自擂,自夸