小故事背诵达人 第430期:I'll Wait for the Police
日期:2014-04-02 16:39

(单词翻译:单击)

小故事

I'll Wait for the Police
我要等警察来
A woman and a man were involved in a car accident-it was a bad one. Both of their cars were totally demolished, but amazingly, neither of them were hurt.
一个男人和一个女人的车撞到了一起,撞得很严重,两个人的车都面目全非。令人称奇的是他们两个人竟然都没事。
After they crawled out of their cars, the woman said, "So, you're a man-that's interesting. I'm a woman. Wow, just look at our cars! There's nothing left, but fortunately we are both unhurt. This must be a sign from God that we should meet and be friends, and live together in peace for the rest of our days."
从各自的车里爬出来后,女人说:“这么说你是个男人,太有意思了,我是个女人。哦,看看我们的车,完全报废了,可幸运的是,我们都没事。这一定是上帝的意旨,要我们相识相知,并在今后的日子里和睦地生活在一起。”
The man thoughtfully replied, "I agree with you completely. This must be a sign from God!"
男人想了想答道:“我完全同意你说的,这一定是上帝的意旨!”
The woman continued, "And look at this, here's another miracle. My car is completely demolished but this bottle of wine didn't break. Surely God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune."
女人接着说道:“看这个,这是又一个奇迹嘛,我的车已经撞烂了,可这瓶酒竟然没有碎。一定是上帝要我们用它来庆贺一下我们的好运。”
Then she handed the bottle to the man. The man nodded his head in agreement, opened it, and drank half the bottle. He then handed it back to the woman. The woman look the bottle, and immediately put the cork back in, and handed it back to the man.
她把那瓶酒递给男人。男人点点头,打开瓶塞,喝了半瓶,递回给女人。女人拿过酒瓶,马上把瓶塞盖好,又递给了男人。
In surprise, he asked, "Aren't you having any?"
男人很诧异,问道:“你不来点儿吗?”
"No," the woman replied, "I think I'll just wait for the police..."
“不,”女人答道,“我想我还是等警察来好了……”

重点讲解

重点讲解:
1. wait for
等待;等候;
eg. Please wait for me at the bus terminal.
请在公共汽车终点站等我。
eg. I always remind myself that time and tide wait for no man.
我总是提醒自己岁月不待人。
2. be involveed in
陷入;卷入;参与;
eg. He has categorically denied being involved in the fraud.
他断然否认自己涉及这项诈骗。
eg. They were involved in a long legal wrangle over payment.
他们在付款问题上陷入长期纠纷。
3. in peace
和睦;和谐;
eg. Never relax your vigilance while you live in peace.
你们要居安思危。
eg. All the villagers live together in peace.
所有村民都和睦相处。
4. agree with
同意;赞成;意见一致;
eg. I agree with you, but yet I can't consent.
我同意你的意见,但是我不能答应。
eg. It's a nicer way to say that you don't agree with someone.
这是向别人表达不同意见的一个比较友好的方式。
5. in agreement
意见一致;
eg. I don't altogether agree with you.
我并不完全同意你的看法。
eg. The judge kept nodding in agreement.
法官不停地点头表示同意。
6. in surprise
惊奇地;
eg. Her eyes widened in surprise.
她惊讶地睁大了眼睛。
eg. He caught his breath in surprise.
他惊奇得屏住了呼吸。

分享到
重点单词
  • celebratev. 庆祝,庆贺,颂扬
  • legaladj. 法律的,合法的,法定的
  • fortunen. 财产,命运,运气
  • miraclen. 奇迹
  • paymentn. 支付,付款,报偿,报应
  • fraudn. 骗子,欺骗,诈欺
  • vigilancen. 警戒,警惕
  • terminaln. 终端机,终点,终点站,末端 adj. 末端的,终点
  • consentn. 同意,许可 v. 同意,承诺