(单词翻译:单击)
小故事
The New CEO
新来的首席执行官
A company, feeling it was time for a shakeup, hires a new CEO. This new boss is determined to rid the company of all slackers.
一个公司在一次人事变革中雇用了新的首席执行官。而他在上任之初就决定将所有懒于工作的人都清理出去。
On a tour of the facilities, the CEO notices a guy leaning on the doorframe with his arms folded on his chest. The room is full of workers and he thinks this is his chance to show everyone he means business!
在一次巡视中,他注意到一个人靠在门框上,手臂交叉在胸前。屋里全是工作人员,于是他认为这是一次绝佳的机会,让每个人都知道他是说一不二的。
The CEO, walks up to the guy and asks, "And how much money do you make a week?"
他走到那人跟前问道:“你一个星期的工钱是多少?”
Undaunted, the young fellow looks at him and replies, "I make $200 a week. Why?"
那小伙子并不怕他,看着他答道:“我一星期赚200块钱,怎么啦?”
The CEO then hands the guy $200 in cash and screams, "Here's a week's pay, now GET OUT and DON'T come back!"
新来的首席执行官递给他200块钱,叫道:“这是你一周的工钱,拿着它走吧,不要再来了!”
Feeling pretty good about his first firing, the CEO looks around the room and asks, "Does anyone want to tell me what that slacker did here?"
第一次落实了自己的政策,新来的首席执行官自我感觉不错,他环顾四周,问道:“有谁能告诉我那个偷懒的人原来是干什么的?”
With a sheepish grin, one of the other workers mutters, "Pizza delivery guy."
一个工作人员局促地笑了一下,喃喃道:“送比萨外卖的。”
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. be determined to do sth.
决心做某事;
eg. I am determined to do it better this time.
我决心这次要做得更好。
eg. The task was difficult , but they were determined to see it out.
这任务很艰巨,但他们决心进行到底。
2. rid of
使…去掉;使…去除;使…摆脱;
eg. You must rid yourself of this melancholy mood.
你一定要摆脱这种忧愁情绪。
eg. The new vaccine may rid the world of one of its most terrifying diseases.
这种新疫苗可能会消除世界上最可怕的一种疾病。
3. mean business
当真的;严肃的;
eg. Now people are starting to realise that he means business.
人们现在才开始明白他不是在开玩笑。
eg. I mean business, so you must be careful.
我是认真的,所以你得小心。