小故事背诵达人 第435期:Christian Bear
日期:2014-05-23 17:24

(单词翻译:单击)

小故事

Christian Bear
基督徒熊
One day this preacher decided that he would skip church and go hunting.
一天,牧师决定不去教堂而去打猎。
When in the woods he came upon a bear. He started running, and he ran for a while all of a sudden he tripped over a tree root. At this moment he was almost face to face with the bear.
在丛林中他遇到了一只熊。他开始跑,跑啊跑,突然他被树根绊倒了。熊就近在眼前了。
He dropped to his knees and said, "Dear Lord, if there is one wish I would want for you to give me it would be to make this bear a Christian."
他跪倒在地,说道:“上帝,我祈祷这只熊是个基督徒。”
And at that instant, the bear halted to a stop and dropped to his knees and said, "Dear Lord, thank you for the food I am about to receive!"
就在这时,那只熊停下脚步,跑了下来说:“上帝,感谢你赐予我的食物!”

重点讲解

重点讲解:
1. come upon
偶然碰到(或发现);
eg. I've just come upon a beautiful poem in the book.
我在这本书里偶然发现了一首优美的诗。
eg. If you're unlucky enough to come upon one of these dangerous creatures. The safest thing to do. . . Is run the other way.
如果你非常不幸地遇到一个这样的危险生物,最安全的做法,就是择路而逃。
2. all of a sudden
突然地;出乎意料地;
eg. All of a sudden he turned about and saw me.
他突然转过身来看见了我。
eg. It became overcast all of a sudden.
天一下阴了下来。
3. face to face with sb.
面对面;直面;
eg. We were strolling into the town when we came face to face with Jacques DuBois.
我们信步向镇子走去,迎面碰上雅克·杜波依斯。
eg. I found myself face to face with her in the market, so I couldn't get away.
我在市场上和她面对面碰上了,所以脱不开身了。
4. at that instant
在那个时候;在那一瞬间;
eg. At that instant the museum was plunged into total darkness.
就在那时,博物馆陷入了一片漆黑。
eg. At that instant, I heard the sound of steps, followed by abrupt knocks on my door.
就在此时,我听见楼梯响,接着是急促的敲门声。
5. be about to do sth.
即将(做…)的;快要(发生…)的;
eg. He was about to speak. Again he bottled himself up.
他想说话又忍住了。
eg. I was just about to call you.
我正准备打电话给你。

分享到