小故事背诵达人 第383期:Too Many Debts
日期:2014-01-16 18:33

(单词翻译:单击)

小故事

Too Many Debts
太多债务
John was aggravated about his many debts.
约翰被众多债务缠得焦头烂额。
"Henry," he confided to his best friend. "I can't sleep anymore because I am so worried about finances."
“亨利,”他对自己最好的朋友倾诉说,“我为自己的财务状况焦虑得睡不着觉了。”
"Sorry, buddy," answered Henry, "but I can't help you in that department. You already owe me $800."
“很抱歉,老伙计,”亨利答道,“在这个问题上我帮不上忙了,你还欠我800块钱呢。”
"I wasn't going to ask you again. Don't worry."
“我不是又来找你借钱的,别担心。”
"I can't understand why you are in this situation. You have a good, steady job."
“我真不明白你怎么会把自己搞成这样。你的工作很不错,又稳定。”
"I know, but I owe money to the food market, the department stores, the liquor store, the landlady and you."
“我也知道,不过我在食品店、商场、酒店都有欠账,我还欠房东太太,还有你的钱。”
"Why don't you pay off one debt at a time?"
“你为什么不一次付清一笔债务呢?”
"I would if I could, but if I don't have some money by tomorrow--I'll really be in a big jam."
“我能的话一定会的,不过明天我要是没有点儿钱的话,我可就要有大麻烦了。”
"You owe the government back taxes?"
“你欠政府税款吗?”
"No, I don't have enough money to bet on the horse races tomorrow."
“不是的,是明天我没有足够的钱赌马了。”

重点讲解

重点讲解:
1. pay off
偿清,还清(债务);
eg. It would take him the rest of his life to pay off that loan.
他得用余生来还清那笔贷款。
eg. The man was pressed to pay off his debt.
那人被逼还债。
2. be in a jam
陷入困境;
eg. They were in a real jam, Bob thought glumly.
他们确实遇上麻烦了,鲍勃闷闷不乐地想。
eg. We must help Ernest because he is in a jam.
我们得帮助厄内斯特,因为他陷入了困境。
3. bet on
打赌;下注;
eg. Jockeys are forbidden to bet on the outcome of races.
职业赛马骑师禁止对赛马结果下注。
eg. I bet £10 on a horse called Premonition.
我在一匹名叫“预兆”的赛马上下了10英镑的赌注。

分享到
重点单词
  • forbiddenadj. 被禁止的
  • premonitionn. 预告,预感,征兆
  • loann. 贷款,借出,债权人 v. 借,供应货款,借给
  • outcomen. 结果,后果
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • steadyadj. 稳定的,稳固的,坚定的 v. 使稳固,使稳定,