(单词翻译:单击)
小故事
The Honeymoon's Over!
蜜月结束了!
A young couple got married and left on their honeymoon.
一对年轻人结婚了去度蜜月。
When they got back, the bride immediately called her mother.
蜜月归来,新娘马上打电话给妈妈。
"Well, how was the honeymoon?" asked the mother.
“你们的蜜月怎么样啊?”妈妈问。
"Oh mamma!" she exclaimed. "The honeymoon was wonderful! So romantic!"
“噢,妈妈!”她大声说道,“蜜月太棒了!太浪漫了!”
No sooner had she spoken the words than she burst out crying. "But mamma... as soon as we returned, Rey started using the most horrible language, things I'd never heard before! I mean all these awful 4-letter words! You've got to come get me and take me home, please mamma!"
可是她刚说完就哭了出来:“可是,妈妈,我们一回来雷就开始对我说一些可怕的话,我以前从没听过的话!都是四个字四个字的话!你快来把我接回家去吧,求你了,妈妈!”
"Now, Elise..." her mother answered. "Calm down! Tell me, what could be so awful? What 4-letter words has he been using?"
“好啦,伊莉斯,”妈妈安慰她说,“安静下来!有什么这么可怕的?告诉妈妈,告诉我他说的那些四个字的话都是什么?”
"Please don't make me tell you, mamma," wept the daughter. "I'm so embarrassed! They're just too awful! Do come get me and take me home... please mamma!"
“求求你,妈妈,别让我说了,”她哭着说,“我太伤心了,那些话太可怕了!你一定要来接我回家,求求你了,妈妈!”
"Darling, baby, you must tell me what have you so upset... Tell your mother these horrible 4-letter words!"
“亲爱的,乖孩子,你一定要告诉我是什么话让你这么伤心。告诉妈妈那些四个字的话都是什么?”
Still sobbing, the bride replied, "Oh, mamma... words like dust, wash, iron and cook!"
新娘子抽泣着说:“妈妈,那些话是打扫卫生、去洗衣服、熨烫衣服、该做饭啦!”
重点讲解
重点讲解:
1. no sooner...than...
刚…就;常放在句首,表示强调,这时主句要倒装;
eg. No sooner had he arrived in Rome than he was kidnapped.
他刚到罗马就遭到了绑架。
eg. No sooner had we left the village than it began to rain.
我们刚离开村子,天就下起雨来了。
2. burst out
突然…起来;突然说出;大声喊出;突然出现;突然发生;
eg. The class burst out laughing.
全班突然大笑起来。
eg. 'I want to be just like you', she bursts out.
“我想就像你一样。”她大声喊道。
eg. Then war burst out.
战争突然爆发。
3. as soon as
一…就…;
eg. As soon as relations improve they will be allowed to go...
一旦关系有所改善,他们就可以获准离开。
eg. You'll never guess what happened as soon as I left my room.
你怎么也猜不出我一离开房间就发生了什么事。
4. calm down
(使)平静下来;(使)镇定下来;(使)平定;平息;
eg. Calm down for a minute and listen to me.
你安静一会儿,听我说。
eg. We will go back to normal when things calm down.
事态平息之后,我们将一切如常。