吃透职场美剧《丑女贝蒂》第52期:隔墙有耳
日期:2012-05-12 09:43

(单词翻译:单击)

试听正文

影视片花:

台词欣赏:

Christina:Love, you're gonna have to slow down.I can't understand what you're saying.Now what exactly is a Gina Gambarro?

亲爱的,你说慢点。我听不懂你在说什么。谁是Gina Gambarro?

Betty:My neighbor.

我的邻居。

She's the one who has the book, and she's holding it, ransom.

她偷了我的样刊,并且拿它作威胁。

Christina:The book?The book with the unretouched photographs of Natalie?Oh, dear.

样刊?有Natalie原始照片的样刊?啊,天哪。

Betty:This is bad, isn't it?

真糟糕,不是吗?

Christina:Uh, well, I wouldn't count on "employee of the month."

呃,我就不指望“员工之星”了。

Betty:Oh, my god!

哦,天哪!

Christina:What?

怎么了?

Betty:Christina, everything up until this point has been a big lie.

Christina,直到现在所有的一切都是骗人的!

I didn't get the job because I was qualified.

公司不是因为我的能力才雇用我的。

I got the job because Bradford Meade didn't want his son to be tempted to sleep with his assistant.

我得到这份工作是因为Bradford Meade不想再让他的儿子被秘书勾引到上床。

Christina:And you have more than proven yourself.

你已经充分证明你的能力了。

Betty:It doesn't matter.I keep getting told that I have to twist the truth to fit in,and maybe I just don't belong to "Mode", and my bunny is paying the price for it.
我的能力这件事情不重要了。总是有人告诉我应该歪曲事实来适应,也许我本就不该来《时尚》的。我的巴尼兔就是为此付出的代价。

Christina:Your bunny?Listen, sweetheart, there's an awful lot of information coming out of your mouth right now, and to be honest, I can't really make any sense of it.

你的巴尼兔?听着,亲爱的,你说的情况很糟糕,而且老实说,我真的搞不懂是怎么回事。

Betty:Look, I just need to come clean to Daniel, tell him the truth.

听着,我得向Daniel开诚布公,告诉他真相。

Christina:Well, the truth might get you fired.

说出真相你会被开除的。

Betty:Well, I need to do it. Bye, Christina.

我一定得这么做。再见,Christina。

Driver:There's hardly any traffic on the bridge, miss. We should be there in no time.

桥上路况很好。小姐。我们马上就到了。

Betty:Great. This must be my lucky day.

太好了。今天肯定是我的幸运日。

重点讲解

单词:

ransom: 勒索

employee: 员工

qualified: 合格的;能胜任的

prove: 证明

twist: 扭曲

sweetheart: 甜心

awful: 可怕的

information: 信息

hardly: 几乎不

point:时刻

重点单词精学:

Ransom

Exp. money, etc paid for this 赎金; 用以赎身之物

Eg . pay ransom to the kidnappers 付给绑架者赎金

Eg . The kidnappers demanded a ransom of 10000 for his release.

绑架者要10000英镑赎金才释放他.Qualified

Eg . There's not enough qualified manpower to staff all the hospitals.

缺乏足够的合格人员充实各医院。

Eg . Our team has qualified for the semi-final.

我队已有资格进入半决赛。

Twist

Exp. deliberately give a false meaning to (words, etc) (故意)歪曲;曲解(词等)的意义

Eg . The papers twisted everything I said.

报纸把我的话全都歪曲了。

Eg. The police tried to twist his statement into an admission of guilt.

警方企图把他的话歪曲成承认有罪。

短语:

slow down: 速度放慢

come clean: 招供

make sense of: 懂得

to be honest: 老实说

fit in: 适应

prove oneself:证明某人的能力

belong to: 属于…的一员

count on: 指望

be tempted to: 被诱惑去做

pay the price: 付出代价

in no time: 马上

until this point:直到这时

twist the truth:歪曲事实,说假话

come out of your mouth:出于某人之嘴

right now:现在

tell the truth:说实话,讲出真相

get sb fired:解雇某人

重点短语精学:

slow down: 减速, 放慢速度

Eg . Slow down a bit and let me come up with you.

跑慢一点让我赶上吧。

Eg . Can we slow down and walk for a bit? I'm getting a stitch.

咱们放慢速度步行一会儿好吗? 我觉得腰部突然一阵剧痛。

come clean:<口>全盘托出, 招供, 坦白承认

Eg . I've got to come clean I was the one who broke the window.

我说实话--窗户是我打破的。

Eg . Why don't you come clean and tell us your plans?

你为何不和盘托出,把你的计划都告诉我们?

count on:依靠,指望

Eg . Don' t count on a salary increase this year, ie You may not get one.

别指望今年会加薪.

Eg . After a broken promise, it is hard to count on a person.

一次失约,再要人相信你就难了。

Eg . Many people count on the bus to be on time every day.

每天都有许多人指望公共汽车准时。

Eg . From now on they could count on us.

从今以后,他们尽可信赖我们。

make sense of:懂得, 了解 ... 的意义

Eg . Can you make sense of what I say?

你能领会我说的意思吗?

Eg . Can you make sense of this telegram?

你搞得懂这电报的意思吗?
Eg . Can you make sense of this poem?

你看得懂这首诗吗?

fit in:适合, 适应, 融入(群体)

Eg . Do these plans fit in with your arrangements?

这些计画与你的安排一致吗?

Eg . They fit in there.

他们在那里很合适。

in no time:立即, 马上

Eg . He will come back in no time.

他很快就会回来的。

Eg . It's all ready. And I'll get you something to eat in no time.

都准备好了,我马上给你们弄点吃的。

Eg . Bear up, out troubles will blow over in no time.

打起精神来,我们的困难马上就会消除的。

pay the price: 付出代价

Eg . If you want to be successful, you must pay the price, which is hard work.

你若想成功,就必须付出代价,这个代价就是努力。

Eg. The foreign minister had to pay the price for his disloyalty to the government an resign.

外交部长对政府不忠,为此他付出了代价,不得不辞职。

口语表达

短句表达:

你得说慢点。

You're gonna have to slow down.

我是合格的。

I was qualified.

你充分证明了你的能力。

You have more than proven yourself.

这事不重要。

It doesn't matter.

有人不断告诉我......

I keep getting told that...

我必须曲解事实。

I have to twist the truth.

......为此付出了代价。

... pays the price for it.

有一大堆糟糕的事情。

There's an awful lot of information.

你说出这一堆事情。

An awful lot of information come out of your mouth.

我搞不懂是怎么回事。

I can't make any sense of it.

我得向Daniel开诚布公了。

I need to come clean to Daniel.

真相会让你失业的。

The truth might get you fired.

桥上交通顺畅。

There's hardly any traffic on the bridge.

今天肯定是我的幸运日。

This must be my lucky day.

分享到
重点单词
  • qualifiedadj. 有资格的,有限制的
  • employeen. 雇员
  • deliberatelyadv. 慎重地,故意地
  • disloyaltyn. 不忠实
  • ransomn. 赎金,赎身,赎回
  • twistedadj. 扭曲的 v. 扭动(twist的过去式)
  • guiltn. 罪行,内疚
  • twistv. 拧,捻,搓,扭曲 n. 扭曲,盘旋,捻,拧
  • stitchn. 一针,疼痛,碎布条 v. 缝合
  • statementn. 声明,陈述