(单词翻译:单击)
原文视听
Narrator: As the sun slowly settled on Wisteria lane, an unsettled Susan racked her brain to find a way into her own house.
当太阳缓缓地在Wisteria lane落山。手足无措的Susan绞尽脑汁想着回到自己家里的办法。
Aah! Lying naked in her shrubs, it occurred to Susan this could be the most humiliating moment of her life.
裸身躺在她家的灌木丛中。Susan心里想道这可能是她一生中最丢脸的一刻了。
Mike: Susan?
Susan?
Narrator: She was wrong.
她错了。
Mike: Uh, whatcha doing?
嗯,你在干什么啊?
Susan: Locked myself out... naked.
把自己锁在外面了…赤裸地。
Mike: Oh.
哦。
Susan: And then I fell. So how are you?
而且后来我又摔倒了。你现在怎样?
Mike: Good, good. I just got back.
很好,很好。我刚回来。
I've been gone all day, and I got your messages about dinner, and, um, I would love to come if that invite still stands.
我出去了一整天刚看到你有关晚餐的留言。嗯,如果那邀请还有效的话,我愿意去。
Susan: It's a date.
那是一次约会。
Mike: All right. I, um... Assume the dress is casual.
好的,我,嗯……我想我可以随意着装吧。
Susan: Yeah. It's — it's casual.
是的,可以……可以随意着装。
Mike: Mmhmm.
嗯。
Susan: Thanks for helping me break in. Do you think it'll be hard to replace that screen?
谢谢你帮我把门打开。你觉得把那个纱窗还能还原吗?
Mike: It depends. If you nail it in yourself, you might want to wear gloves... or pants. Pants wouldn't hurt.
看情况吧。如果你把自己“钉”在那儿你也许会想要戴副手套……或裤子。或者穿条裤子,那样不会刺痛。
Susan: Okay, I know what just happened is funny in theory, but I'm nowhere near ready to laugh about it, so please, no jokes.
好吧,我知道那事理论上来说很有趣。但我现在还不想拿它开玩笑,所以拜托,别开玩笑。
Bree: Hey, where have you two been?
嗨,你们两个哪儿去了?
Mike: Uh, Susan had a problem finding something to wear.
嗯,Susan找不到东西穿。
Oh, is that the kind of thing you meant?
哦,是这样吧?
Susan: Pretty much.
差不多。
重点讲解
重点讲解
rack one's brain
绞尽脑汁
I rack my brain trying to remember the answer.
我绞尽脑汁想答案。
whatcha
[口语] what are you
lock out
把…关在外面
Mother threatened to lock us out if we didn't get back from the party before midnight.
母亲威胁说,我们若是不能在午夜前离开晚会回来,就会被关在门外。
stand
保持效力
VERB (决定、法规或提议)继续有效
Although exceptions could be made, the rule still stands...
虽然可能有例外,但该规定仍然有效。
The Supreme Court says that the convictions can stand.
最高法院说判决结果依然有效。
break in
闯入【Susan把自己锁在了自家门外,Mike帮她把门翘开她才得以进屋,break in有一种暴力式,强行的意味在里面,用在这比较幽默】
The thief had broken in through a first-floor window.
小偷是从二楼的窗户进入屋里的。
It depends
这要看情况而定【非常实用简短的一句话】
It depends upon how you develop your talents.
那可得看你怎样发展自己的才能了。
in theory
理论上
In theory, three things could happen.
推测起来,有三种可能性。
laugh about
对…感到好笑而发笑
You used to laugh about everybody that was hanging out.
你一贯嘲笑那些无所适事的人。
pretty much
几乎,差不多
The city is pretty much plain vanilla. 更多牛津
这座城市相当一般化。
She feels pretty well, but she hasn't much of an appetite.
她精神还不错,不过胃口不太好。
背景介绍
“每晚9点钟,充满活力的总统先生已鼾声阵阵。而我就一个人看《绝望主妇》。所以,我其实就是一个绝望的家庭主妇。”
——美国前任第一夫人劳拉