影视剧中的职场美语 第103期:争分夺秒
日期:2014-05-28 17:28

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Ugly Betty,《丑女贝蒂》


Daniel:Could I talk to you for a second?

丹尼尔:能和你说几句话吗?

Do you still have that list of freelancers on your blackberry?

你的黑莓手机 里还有自由记者的名单吗?

The writer for the Phil Roth interview just dropped out.

访谈菲尔罗斯的作者刚刚不干了。

Betty:What? I didn't know “Mode” was doing a piece on him. I love him.

贝蒂:什么?我不知道《时尚》要做他的报道。我喜欢他。

Daniel:You do?

丹尼尔:真的?

Betty:Okay, uh, Daniel, hear me out. Do you remember when you accidentally made two dates with two different women at the same restaurant…

贝蒂:好吧,呃,丹尼尔,听我说完。你还记得你不小心同时约了两个女人 在同家餐厅吃饭吗?

Daniel:Oh, my god.

丹尼尔:哦,天哪。

Betty:And...and I had to fake the seizure so you could run out the back door witfi the prettier one?

贝蒂:我只好装作癲痫发作好让你能和那个漂亮点的从后门脱身?

What was the last thing you said to me?

你最后跟我说了什么?

Betty, I owe you.

贝蒂,我欠你一个人情。

Daniel:Come on. This is a huge article.

丹尼尔:别闹了,这篇文章是主打。

Betty:The manager shoved a chopstick in my mouth so I wouldn't swallow my togue.

贝蒂:那个经理往我嘴里硬塞了根筷子,我才没有把舌头呑下去。

Daniel:Okay. Okay. All right. A thousand words by Friday.

丹尼尔:好好,好吧。1000字周五前交。

Betty:Oh, my god. Are you serious? You're going to let me do this.

贝蒂:喊,天哪!你是说真的吗?你 这次让我做。

Daniel:I have faith in you.

丹尼尔:我对你有信心。

Betty:Oh, my god, Daniel. Thank you. Thank you! Thank you!

贝蒂:哦,天哪,丹尼尔,谢了!谢 谢!太感谢了!

Daniel:Besides, who else are we going to get on such short notice, right?

丹尼尔:而且这么短的时间我也找不到别人是吧?

Betty:I'm just going to pretend you stopped at "I have faith in you."

贝蒂:我就当你只说到那句“我对你有信心”。

职场美语

I simply cannot revamp the entire magazine mock-up in a single night.

我不可能一晚上就把整个杂志的排版给换了,

I know the work is on short notice, but there's no other option.

我知道这个任务这么紧急,但是没有别的选择了。

Since the work is on short notice, this is the best we could do.

因为工作时间很紧,我们已经尽力做到最好了。

Okay. I really want to do something to thank you.

好的。我真的想做点事向你表示感谢。

重点讲解

The work must be finished very soon.

The work is on short time.

on short notice用在职场中,指“短时间内(突然)”,情况很紧急。比如,如果第二天活动就要开幕了,而前一天晚上却要求更改执行方案,这时客户可能 就会说:Sorry to call you on such short notice.(对不起,给您这么紧急的工作。) 或者直接通知:The work is on short notice.工作时间很紧。

分享到
重点单词
  • interviewn. 接见,会见,面试,面谈 vt. 接见,采访,对 .
  • moden. 方式,样式,模式,风格,时兴 n. [音乐]
  • optionn. 选择权,可选物,优先购买权 v. 给予选择
  • swallown. 燕子,吞咽,一次吞咽的量 vt. 吞下,咽下,忍受
  • pretendv. 假装,装作 adj. 假装的