影视剧中的职场美语 第91期:谈论公司状况
日期:2014-05-12 16:58

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Drop Dead Diva,《美女上错身》


Brandon:About six months ago I was on a business trip in Alaska.

布兰顿:大约半年前我到阿拉斯加出差。

When the altitude got to me I collapsed clunked my noggin

可能不适应海拔高度我昏倒了撞到头。

Near death as they say.

他们说我濒临死亡。

While I was out I had one of those epiphanies.

我昏迷的时候忽然有了所谓的顿悟。

Jane:An epiphany?

简:顿悟?

Brandon:I was wasting time on this extraordinary planet.

布兰顿:世界很美妙我却都浪费时间在工作上。

So now Im on the smell-the-flowers tour.

所以我现在参加“赏花团。”

I ran with the bulls. I dived Loch Ness-- No monster,

跑去斗牛去尼斯湖潜水根本没有水怪。

Collected some uh- pretty good tattoos.

收藏一些还不错的刺青。

I'll show you when we get to know each other better.

再熟一点我就给你看。

Jane:Not necessary.

简:不用了。

Brandon:Two weeks a month I travel exclusively by hot-air balloon.

布兰顿:一个月有两星期我用热汽球去旅行。

Jane:Well according to your board you have also shut down four factories.

简:你公司的董事会说你已经关掉四间工厂了。

Brandon:They've been repurposed. I'm building green cheetahs--Top secret.

布兰顿:我决定改生产别的我要制造绿印度豹。最高机密。

And your profits are spiraling down.

但公司盈余越来越少。

This isn't about my board. It's about my son Charlie.

这跟董事会没关系是我儿子查理。

I entrusted the bum with 10 of my company...and now hes convinced the board to sell.

我把公司百分之十股份给了那没用的儿子现在他想说服董事会把公司卖掉。

He wants to cash out.

股份换现金。

Jane:And thats why they want to get rid of you.

简:所以他们才想摆脱你。

Brandon:I need your help to save my company Miss Bingum.

布兰顿:我需要你帮我拯救公司,比格木小姐。

Jane:Well,I will do what I can.

简:好吧,我会尽全力的。

职场美语

The operation of the company is running not so smooth.

公司的经营状况不甚很顺利。

We need to find a way out of this mess.

我们要想一个可以摆脱混乱局面的办法。

We have been waiting for the bus for nearly half an hour!

我们等公交车已经将近半小时了!

The traffic is terrible today!We need to find a way out of this mess.

今天交通一塌糊涂!我们要想一个可以摆脱混乱局面的办法。

重点讲解

We have to make it right somehow.

We need to find a way out of this mess.

Mess作名词意思是“乱七八糟”,in a mess指处于混乱状态。Out of mess是指“摆脱混乱局面”。而find a way则表示找到解决问题的办法,所以find a way out of this mess意思就是“想个办法摆脱眼前的糟糕局面”。

分享到
重点单词
  • exclusivelyadv. 排他地(独占地,专门地,仅仅,只)
  • convincedadj. 信服的
  • balloonn. 气球 vt. 使膨胀 vi. 如气球般膨胀,激增
  • planetn. 行星
  • smoothadj. 平稳的,流畅的,安祥的,圆滑的,搅拌均匀的,可
  • altituden. 高度,海拔,高地
  • extraordinaryadj. 非凡的,特别的,特派的