影视剧中的职场美语 第15期:谈论面试情况
日期:2014-01-06 17:03

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

Tom:Aren't you gonna ask me about my job interview?
你不想知道我的面试情况?
Lynette:Oh, right. How'd that go?
对哦,怎么样?
Tom:Okay.
还不错。
Until the 30yearold who was interviewing me asked me if I'd ever used twittering as part of a marketing campaign.
直到那位面试我的30 岁小伙儿问我是否我曾经用“微博”来作为营销策略。
Lynette:And what'd you say?
你说什么?
Tom:Nothing...
啥都没说。
Because I don't know what "twittering" is.
因为我不知道啥叫"微博"。
Lynette:It's a social networking tool where you send instant updates to anybody who signs up for them.
就是一种社交网络工具,可以向每一个用户即时发送更新。
Tom:So... you knew about this and yet you kept it from me?
你知道,居然不告诉我?
Lynette:I didn't keep it from you.
不是不告诉你,
It's just one of those tech things that you don't care about.
只不过这些技术你从来都不感兴趣。
It's for young people.
年轻人喜欢。
Tom:And I am a dinosaur marching into the tar pit.
而我就像啥都不懂的恐龙。
Lynette:I didn't say that.
我可没这么说。
You're not gonna get a whole lot of sympathy from me.
你才不需要我的同情呢。
I just went through the same thing. Remember?
我也刚经历过同样的遭遇,记得不?
Tom:Yeah. But you didn't tell me how bad it was.
但你没说遭遇有多惨。
That's another thing you kept from me.
你居然又没告诉我。
50 guys showed up for that one job and I was 10 years older than every single one of them.
50 人竞争一个职位,我比谁都要老10 岁。
I could hear them twittering as I left the room.
我离开房间时听到他们在窃窃私语。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望的主妇》

职场美语

I behaved well in the interview.I'm sure I can get the new job.
我在面试中表现很好。我敢肯定我能赢得这份新工作。
Don't hold your breath.Let nature take its course.
别期望太高。顺其自然吧。

精讲部分

Don't expect too much.
Don't hold your breath.
面试过后难民会根据面试情况进行谈论,这时我们常会说到要平常心对待,别把期望值设得太高,老外则常用Don't hold your breath.来表达这个意思。Hold one's breath意思是“(因为恐惧,兴奋等)而屏住呼吸”,别憋着呼吸也就是别抱过高的期望值,凡事顺其自然就好。

分享到
重点单词
  • sympathyn. 同情,同情心,同感,赞同,慰问
  • socialadj. 社会的,社交的 n. 社交聚会
  • campaignn. 运动,活动,战役,竞选运动 v. 从事运动,参加竞
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • interviewn. 接见,会见,面试,面谈 vt. 接见,采访,对 .