影视剧中的职场美语 第89期:说服信服
日期:2014-05-08 17:02

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望主妇》


Mrs.Peterson: "Checking out the new executive digs?"

彼得森夫人:来看新的行政主管?

Lynette: "Oh, you know it."

勒内特:哦,你明白的。

Mrs. Peterson: "Can I tell you a little secret?"

彼得森夫人:我能告诉你一个小秘密吗?

Lynette: "Sure."

勒内特:当然。

Mrs. Peterson: "Dan wanted to hold the promotion over for Tim Doogan and I'm the one that convinced him to give it to Tom."

彼得森夫人:丹想要把晋升的机会留给蒂姆道根,而我说服了他把机会给汤姆。

Lynette: "Really?"

勒内特:真的?

Mrs. Peterson: "Uh-huh. Tom is such a workhorse and he wanted it so badly."

彼得森夫人:恩哼,汤姆是一个不折不扣的工作狂,他非常想得到这次机会。

Lynette: "Yeah, he certainly did."

勒内特:是啊,他的确是。

Mrs. Peterson: "What is wrong? Aren't you happy about this promotion?"

彼得森夫人:怎么了?你不为这次升职开心吗?

Mary Alice Voiceover:"Lynette realized it was in her best interest to lie to the boss's wife."

勒内特意识到她最好对老板妻子撒个谎。

Lynette: "Well, it's great, obviously. Thank you."

勒内特:非常开心,当然了,谢谢。

"Provided she wasn't too convincing."

倘若她的话不是那么令人信服,

Lynette: "Of course, I mean, I will miss him being gone all the time.

勒内特:当然,我是说,我会想他得一直奔波在外。

He'll be bringing in more money, but he is gonna miss the birthdays, baseball games, first steps.

他能赚回更多的钱,但他也将错过生日庆祝,棒球比赛,婴儿迈出的头几步。

That's the trade-off, right?

有得必有失,对吧?

I just hope one day Tom doesn't look back and regret being gone so much.

我只是希望某一天,汤姆再回过头来看时,不会后悔离家太久。

I better get out there before they break something."

恩,我最好赶在他们打破什么之前过去。

Mrs. Peterson: "Of course, I will see you soon."

彼得森夫人:好的,回见。

职场美语

Come on,Oprah is so much funnier than those bored movies.

别这样,欧普拉比起起那些无聊的电影有趣多了。

OK,OK,You have there.It's up to you now.

好吧,好吧。我被你说服了,现在由你决定。

You have me there.I will follow you.

你说服我了,我听你的。

Great!We will first meet the clients and then carry on the program.

太好了!我们先去见客户,然后继续这个项目。

重点讲解

You've persuaded me.

You have me there.

提到“说服”,首先想到的就是persuade了,但这个词更多的是用在书面语或较正式的场合。那么老美在口语中用什么呢?那就是:You have me there.这个句子在口语中出现频率很高,意思是“你说服我了”或者“我相信你了”,相当于I'm convinced.或者You convince me.

分享到
重点单词
  • promotionn. 晋升,促进,提升
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • convincingadj. 使人信服的,有力的,令人心悦诚服的 vbl.
  • convincevt. 使确信,使信服,说服
  • convincedadj. 信服的
  • baseballn. 棒球
  • persuadevt. 说服,劝说
  • executiveadj. 行政的,决策的,经营的,[计算机]执行指令 n