影视剧中的职场美语 第4期:谈论个人能力
日期:2013-12-19 16:06

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

Grady:Matty, who do you got?
马蒂,你选谁?
Matty:I like Geronimo.
我看好杰罗尼莫。
Grady:Yes.
恩。
Men discussing:The guy's an athlete. Big, fast, talented. Top of my list. Clean-cut, good face.
他是个天生的运动员,高大,敏捷,有天赋,是我的首选。轮廓分明,长相不错。
Yeah, good jaw. Five-tools guy. Good-looking ballplayer.
下巴不错,全能型的。是个外表不错的球员。
Billy:Can he hit?
他击球怎么样?
Man A:He's got a beautiful swing, right, Barry?
他击打动作不错。
Barry:The ball explodes off his bat.
很有力量。
He throws the club head at the ball, and when he connects, he drives it, it pops off the bat. You can hear it all over the ballpark. A lot of pop coming up for them.
他习惯用棒头击球,只要碰到就一下子弹出老远。整个球场都能听见,击打很大声。
Billy:If he's good, why doesn't he hit good?
为何他能力不错,成绩却不行?
Man A:He is a good hitter. He'll be ready.
他是个很好的击球手。他…他会准备好的。
Billy:So he's gonna be a good hitter against big-league arms? Could be great.I don't think so.
所以在与大联盟队比赛前,他会成为一名优秀的击球手?如果是就好了。但我不这么看。
Grady:Kid needs at bats. You give him 400 at bats, he's gonna get better.
这孩子需要多练,你让他挥个400棒,他就可以更好。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Moneyball,《点石成金》


职场美语

We're looking for someone to be the new account executive.What do you think of Campbell?
我们在寻求一位新的客户经理。你觉得坎贝尔怎么样?
He's a shark.I'd definitely recomment him.
他很厉害。我强烈推荐。

What do you think of Bill as our new CEO?
你觉得让比尔当我们新的执行总裁怎么样?
He's a shark when it comes to bringing in profit.But he sort of lacks a human touch.
从提高利润的角度来说,他绝对是能手。但是他的风格不太人性化。

精讲部分

提起鲨鱼,脑海中浮现的除了凶残,恐怕就是嗜血了,哪怕水中少量的血腥味都能把它从远处招来。在职场中,这样“稳准狠”的杀手风格显然非常瘦商业人士的青睐。如果一个人被形容是一个“鲨鱼”(He is a shark),那也就是夸赞他商业嗅觉灵敏,能力超强。

分享到
重点单词
  • athleten. 运动员
  • executiveadj. 行政的,决策的,经营的,[计算机]执行指令 n
  • sharkn. 鲨鱼 n. 贪婪的人,放高利贷的人,老手 v. 诈
  • drivesn. 驱动器;驱动力;驱动程序(drive的复数形式)
  • talentedadj. 有才能的,有天赋的
  • swingn. 摇摆,改变,冲力 v. 摇摆,旋转,动摇