影视剧中的职场美语 第110期:约见客户
日期:2014-06-09 16:02

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自The Pursuit of Happiness,《当幸福来敲门》


Walter Ribbon's Office.

沃尔特瑞本办公室。

Yes, hello, my name is Chris Gardner. I'm calling for Mr. Walter Ribbon.

你好,我是克利斯加德纳,找沃尔特瑞本先生。

Concerning?

有预约吗?

Yes, ma'am. I'm calling from Dean Witter.

是的,女士。我是迪恩维特公司的。

Just a moment.

请稍等。

Hello?

你好。

Mr. Ribbon? Hello, sir. My name's Chris Gardner. I'm calling from Dean Witter. Yeah, Chris.

瑞本先生?您好,先生, 我叫克利斯加德纳,迪恩维特公司的。什么事,克利斯?

Yes, Mr. Ribbon...I would love to have the opportunity to see with you to discuss some of our products.

是,瑞本先生...我希望有机会当面向您介绍一下我们公司的服务。

I'm certain that I could be of some assistance to you.

我肯定能为您做点事。

Can you be here in 20 minutes?

你能20分钟内赶过来吗?

Twenty minutes. Absolutely.

20分钟,当然了。

Just had someone cancel. Come then now. I can give you a few minutes before the 49ers.

有个预约取消了,你现在就过来吧。我会在49人队比赛前给你几分钟时间。

Monday night football, buddy.

老兄,周一晚上可是橄榄球比赛时间啊!

Yes, sir. Thank you very much.

好的,先生。太感谢您了。

See you soon.

那一会儿见。

Bye-bye, Excuse me. Thank you...

再见。感谢您给我这个机会…

职场美语

What I have said are secrets, I have never told other people. Remember, don't spill the beans when you are having meeting with the customer.

我说的全部都是秘密,我从没对别人说过。记住,在和客户开会的时候千万别说漏了嘴。

Don't worry.I won't.

别担心我不会的。

I'm about to attend a meeting with the customer.

我要去会见客户了。

Don't spill the beans.

可别说漏了嘴哦!

重点讲解

Keep your mouth shut about this.

Don't spill the beans.

spill意为“洒落,溢出”,bean是“豆子”,所以spill the beans字面意思就是“弄撒豆子”。据说古希腊时,若要进入某些秘密会社,必须先由社员投票 通过,黑白豆子分别代表反对和同意票。但要是在计票前不小心打翻了装豆子的瓶子,而把豆子洒了一地就等于泄露了秘密。现在spill the beans就引申为“泄 露秘密”,指由于不小心或偶然导致的,并不是故意的。

分享到
重点单词
  • assistancen. 帮助,援助
  • certainadj. 确定的,必然的,特定的 pron. 某几个,某
  • opportunityn. 机会,时机
  • absolutelyadv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地
  • spillv. 溢出,洒,使 ... 流出,泄漏 n. 溢出,流
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟