影视剧中的职场美语 第10期:谈论优势
日期:2013-12-27 16:39

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

Sebastian says you won some kind of award.
塞巴斯蒂安说你得过一个什么奖项。
Mitchie. I have a Mitchie.
我得过米琪奖。
It's like a Pulitzer, but from western Michigan.
就像是普利策奖,不过是在密歇根西部。
A Mitchie. Mitchie。 So, tell me-What made you leave the estimable... Kalamazoo Gazette?
那么告诉我你为什么要离开那家出名的卡拉马祖公报?
Well, as you know, Sebastian and I were in college together...
呃,塞巴斯蒂安和我是大学同学,
And he was, He was always saying how great south Florida is...
他一直说佛罗里达南部很棒很棒,
and that maybe my wife and I might enjoy it here,
说我和我妻子可能会喜欢这里,
so we decided to come down here.
所以我们就搬来了。
Are you a comedian too
你也是喜剧演员么?
Excuse me?
什么?
Like your friend over here.
和你那朋友一样。
No.
不是。
He's walking a very thin line.
他总是做事没头没脑。
It's a good thing he knows how to write.
幸好他笔头不错。
So your wife is Jenny Havens?
那么说,你妻子是珍妮海文斯?
Yes. Jenny Grogan. Because we're married. She took my name.
是的。现在她叫珍妮格鲁根,婚后跟我姓。
She get the job at the Post?
她在邮报那里找到工作了?
Yes, she did.
是啊。
Why didn't they want you over there?
邮报怎么不用你呢?
Well, I didn't apply.
我没申请那工作。
Jenny's more of a feature writer...
珍妮更像个专栏作家,
and I'm more of a straight news writer.
但我更像个写严肃新闻的,
I thought this would be a better fit for that.
我觉得这里会更适合我。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Marley & Me,《马利和我》

职场美语

You always work better than me.You're so clever.
你的工作总是比我做得好,你真聪明啊!
That's because I never leave it down to the wire.
那是因为我从来不把工作拖到最后关头才开始做。

To be a journalist you need to be smart about news,prompt with actions.
要当个记者的话,你必须对新闻很敏感,而且要反应迅速。
Absolutely!I never leave it down to the wire.
那当然,我办事从来不拖拖拉拉的。

精讲部分
I never leave it down to the wire.
Down to the wire来自于皇家赛马比赛,这里的wire是指赛马跑道终点拉的终点线。赛马的过程并不能定胜负,只有最先冲过终点的马才是获胜者,所以down to the wire的意思是“直到最后,接近最后期限”。所以leave it down to the wire就表示“直到最后才开始做事,把事情拖到最后关头”。

分享到
重点单词
  • promptadj. 迅速的,敏捷的,立刻的 vt. 激起,促进,推
  • smartadj. 聪明的,时髦的,漂亮的,敏捷的,轻快的,整洁的
  • estimableadj. 可估计的,值得尊敬的 adj. 贵重的
  • absolutelyadv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地