影视剧中的职场美语 第26期:升职
日期:2014-01-21 17:25

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

I'm in a bind.
我很困扰。
Yeah,but I'm a reporter.I'm not a columnist.
我知道,但我是记者,不是专栏作家。
John,you get better pay…you can pick your own hours and choose your own topics.Why are you hesitating?
约翰,你会有更高的工资…你可以自由选择工作时间及报道话题,为什么你还要犹豫?
No,I'm thinking.
不,我只是在思考。
No,you're hesitating.I'm offering you a promotion,and you're hesitating.
不是,你在犹豫。我让你升职,但是你却在犹豫。
I never saw myself as a columinst.
我从来没想过自己会成为专栏作家。
Well,think of I as one of those times when you surprise yourself.
那就想想你之前是如何让自己都大吃一惊的。
Okay.
好吧。
John,it's only a couple of times a week…till I get a replacement for Jerry.
约翰,一个星期只有几次…直到我找到人接替杰瑞。
Then you can go back to doing whatever the hell it was you are doing.
然后你就回到原位,继续做你之前的工作。
What were you doing?
你之前的工作是什么。
Obituaries,methane leaks.
讣闻,天然气泄漏。
Are you okay with this?
你应付的来这些吗?
Yes.
可以。
You don't seem very thrilled.
你好像并不激动。
No,it's a promotion.
不,这可是一次升职。
We could take away the raise in pay if you like.
如果你喜欢,我们可以取消工资的提高。
No,no.I'm-Thank you.
不,不要,谢谢你。
All right.Now you're talking.Go on.Get to work.
好吧,现在才是正常的答复。走吧,去工作吧。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Marley & Me,《马利和我》

职场美语
I'm so excited that I was raised to management level at today's conference.
我太高兴了,今天的会议上我被提拔到管理层了。
This is a red-letter day for you.Congratulations!
今天是你的大日子。祝贺你哦!
Shirley,have you heard that I got promoted to be the new GM today?
雪莉,我升为总经理了,你听说了吗?
Really?Whoa,this is a red-letter day for you.
真的吗?哇,今天是你的大日子啊!

精讲部分
Today is your best day!
This is a red-letter day for you.
在听到同事升职的消息时,老外常说的是:This is a red-letter day for you.今天是你的大好日子。A red-letter day的字面意思是“有红色字母的一天”。在英语国家,很久之前宗教节日是用红色字母写的,宗教的结束在西方国家是很重要的,所以后来就用a red-letter day来表示盛大或是具有重要纪念意义的日子。后来这个短语的意思逐渐扩大为任何“值得纪念或喜庆的日子”。

分享到
重点单词
  • conferencen. 会议,会谈,讨论会,协商会
  • replacementn. 更换,接替者
  • promotionn. 晋升,促进,提升