影视剧中的职场美语 第20期:提出升职
日期:2014-01-13 16:57

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

Why aren't you taking notes?
我说话呢,你怎么不记下?
I'm sorry, were you not in that room?
你刚才不在那儿吗?
What? What? Oh! The thing you said about being promoted? Genius! Genius.
什么,什么?噢!关于你要晋升的事情吗?天才啊!
He completely fell for it.
他中圈套了。
I was serious. I'm looking at a $250,000 fine and five years in jail. That changes things.
我是认真的。我面对的是25万罚款和5年大牢,后果很严重。
Promote you to editor? No, no way.
升你做编辑?没门的。
Then I quit, and you're screwed. Bye-bye, Margaret.
那我放弃,你也完蛋了。再见,玛格丽特。
Andrew!
安德鲁!
It really has been a little slice of heaven.
这样的结果,真是不错啊。
Andrew, Andrew! Fine, fine. I'll make you editor. Fine.
安德鲁,安德鲁!好吧,好吧。我让你当编辑。
If you do the Alaska weekend and the immigration interview, I will make you editor. Happy?
要是你周末带我去阿拉斯加,然后应付好移民面试,我就升你做编辑。高兴了吧?
And not in two years. Right away.
别推到2年以后,马上。
Fine.
好吧。
And you'll publish my manuscript.
还有,你要出版我的作品。
Ten thousand copy first..
第一版1万册。
Twenty thousand copies, first run. And we'll tell my family about our engagement when I want and how I want.
第一版2万册。还有,我们要把订婚的消息告诉家里。时间和方式我来定。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自The Proposal,《假结婚》

职场美语

How is Bill doing?Haven;t seen him after college.
比尔近来怎么样?大学毕业后我就再也没见过他了。
He's working up the corporate ladder.
他平步青云,在公司里节节高升。

Wanna join us for the party after work?
下班以后要和我们一起去派对吗?
I'd like to,but I have to dine out with my husband.He's working up the corporate ladder.
我非常想去,但是我必须和我丈夫去外边吃饭,他升职了。

精讲部分

He is promoted.
He's working up the corporate ladder.

说到升职,你是不是想用promote这个词呢?但老外可有更形象的表达哦,他们将一个从小职员奋斗打拼,以求步步高升的行为称作climb/work up the corporate ladder,字面意思是“在公司的阶梯上一步一步向上爬”。

分享到
重点单词
  • fell动词fall的过去式 n. 兽皮 vt. 砍伐,击倒 a
  • geniusn. 天才,天赋
  • promotevt. 促进,提升,升迁; 发起; 促销
  • jailn. 监牢,监狱,拘留所 vt. 监禁,下狱
  • proposaln. 求婚,提议,建议
  • corporateadj. 社团的,法人的,共同的,全体的
  • interviewn. 接见,会见,面试,面谈 vt. 接见,采访,对 .
  • slicen. 薄片,切片 vt. 切成薄片,削
  • engagementn. 婚约,订婚,约会,约定,交战,雇用,(机器零件等)
  • manuscriptadj. 手抄的 n. 手稿,原稿