影视剧中的职场美语 第54期:工作不得志
日期:2014-03-13 15:43

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Friends,《老友记》

I'm training to be better at a job that I hate, my life officially sucks.
我痛恨这工作,还要努力改进,我这辈子算是完了。
But Rachel, wasn't this supposed to a temporary thing? I thought you wanted to do fashion stuff?
这不是暂时性的工作而已吗?你的目标是打入时装界?
Well,yeah!I'm still pursuing that.
对,我还在朝目标前进。
How... exactly are you pursuing that? You know other than sending out resumes like what, two years ago?
你是怎么前进的?两年前寄寄履历表吗?
Well, I'm also sending out.... good thoughts.
我还传达了…好点子。
If you ask me, as long as you got this job, you've got nothing pushing you to get another one. You need the fear.
如果你问我,只要你还保有这份工作,就没有找新工作的动机。你需要的是恐惧。
The fear?
恐惧?
He's right, if you quit this job, you then have motivation to go after a job you really want.
他是对的,辞掉这份工作,才有动机追求你心目中理想的工作。
Well then how come you're still at a job that you hate, I mean why don't you quit and get 'the fear'?
你为何还在做你讨厌的工作?干嘛不辞职来产生恐惧?
Because, I'm too afraid. I don't know, I mean I would give anything to work for a designer, y'know, or a buyer....
因为我太害怕了 我不知道,我愿意不计一切为设计师或采购人工作。
Oh, I just don't want to be 30 and still work here.
我不想到了30岁还在这里工作。
Yeah,that'd be much worse than being 28,and still working here.
对,要比28岁还在这里工作惨多了。

职场美语
I really should have gone to college,but now I work in this low-pay,zero-respect job.
我真应该去上大学,但是现在我工资低而且不受人尊重。
Well,at least you don't have to commute for two hours every day.
但至少你不用每天花费两个小时上下班。
We all expect much from you,as you are such a promising student.
我们对你期望很高,因为你课业这么优秀。
I don't know.I work in this low-pay,zero-respect job.
这可说不准。我工资低且不受人尊重。

精讲部分
My salary is low and people don't respect me.
I work in this low-pay,zero-respect job.
英语中单词的运用往往非常灵活,不同词性的几个词用横线连接起来,往往可以表示相对应意思的名词,这里的low-pay,zero-respect就是如此。这两个短横线连起来的词均做形容词,表示钱给的少,而且工作也不受人尊敬。

分享到
重点单词
  • designern. 设计者
  • promisingadj. 有希望的,有前途的
  • temporaryadj. 暂时的,临时的 n. 临时工