影视剧中的职场美语 第71期:互相鼓励
日期:2014-04-09 16:50

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自The Vampire Diaires,《吸血鬼日记》


John:I'm not gonna let you sell my brother's office.

约翰:我不会让你把我哥哥的办公室卖掉的。

Jenna:It's not up you or me.

珍娜:这不是你或我可以决定的。

It belongs to Jeremy and Elena.

杰米和艾莲娜才有权决定。

John:But they're minors, so I get the final say,being that I'm the estate's trustee.

约翰:但是他们还小所以最后我说了算,我才是遗产受托人。

Elena:He said his trip is openended.

艾莲娜:他说他这趟来没定什么时候回去。

Matt:Uncle John. I never really liked that guy.

马特:我一点都不喜欢约翰叔叔。

Elena:Heh. Does anyone?

艾莲娜:有人喜欢么?

Matt:I am here for moral support if you need me.

马特:我永远在精神上支持你。

Elena:Thanks. I think I'll suffer this one alone.

艾莲娜:谢了,我想这次我得独自忍受了。

You've been through enough.

你已经承受够多的了

Matt:Thank you, by the way, for just... for everything you did at Vicki's funeral and her memorial.

马特:顺便说句谢谢你,为了... 为了你在维姬葬礼和悼念会上所做的一切。

I couldn't have done it without you.

没有你我就撑不住了。

Elena:Of course, Matt.

艾莲娜:马特,这是应该的。

So is Caroline still baking for you guys around the clock?

卡洛琳还整天给你们做饭?

Matt:She finally went to her dad's, which is a good thing, because my mom was gonna strangle her if she dropped off more lasagna.

马特:她终于去她爸爸那儿了这是件好事,因为如果她再做烤面条我妈妈真要杀了她。

Elena:Oh.

艾莲娜:噢。

职场美语

I'm really terrified about the job interview.

我一想到这个工作的面试就害怕。

I'm here for moral support.You can make it.

我在精神上支持你,你可以的。

Nice to meet you,Emily.And who is this?

见到你很高兴,艾米丽。这位又是谁呢?

I am her friend. I'm here for moral support.

我是她朋友,来给她点儿精神鼓励。

重点讲解

I am here to support you.

I'm here for moral support.

Moral support在这里可不是指“道德支持”,形容词moral源自名词morale,指军队,团队等的士气。I'm here for moral support.相当于汉语里的“我在精神上支持你”,汉语里往往隐含着“但实质的帮助我可并不能提供多少”,类似地,英语里这句表达也常常是朋友间的游戏之语。

分享到
重点单词
  • interviewn. 接见,会见,面试,面谈 vt. 接见,采访,对 .
  • memorialadj. 纪念的,追悼的 n. 纪念碑(堂), 纪念仪式
  • estaten. 财产,房地产,状态,遗产