影视剧中的职场美语 第62期:相信与怀疑
日期:2014-03-25 16:21

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Drop Dead Diva,《美女上错身》

Twizzler?
来根Twizzler软糖?
No, I prefer my candy coated in chocolate.
不了,我更喜欢我的外面包着巧克力的糖果。
Oh, if you're looking for malt balls, we're out.
要是你在找麦丽素,都没有了。
I have some back here.
我在这儿放了点。
How's it going with Kim?
跟金姆那边怎么样?
She wants me to close tomorrow, and I can't stand our client.
她让我做结案陈词,但我受不了那个当事人。
I don't know if I have it in me.
我不知道我能不能做到。
Of course you do.
你当然可以。
I mean, I've never been good at poker.
我是指,我从来都打不好扑克。
I mean, when I try to bluff, my palms get sweaty and
每当我想虚张声势,我的手掌就满是汗,而且…
And you turn red. I know.
你就脸红,我都知道的。
How did you know?
你怎么知道?
It's a classic tell.
这是个典型情况。
Look, you're an honest man, and I admire that.
你是个正直的人,我很佩服这点。
Thanks.
谢谢。
But it's not gonna help me in court.
但这没法在法庭上帮我。
Wait, do you find your client legally or morally reprehensible?
等等,你觉得你的当事人,法律上还是道德上该受谴责?
It doesn't matter!
这不重要!
No, listen.
不,听着。
If you're completely honest with the jury, maybe it does matter.
如果你对陪审团坦诚相对,也许就重要了。
Jane, that's brilliant.
简,太聪明了。
Thank you.
谢谢。
Oh! Oh.
噢,噢。
You are welcome!
不用谢。

职场美语
We're looking for a new sales manager.
我们想要照片一名新的销售经理。
Why don't you aks Tom?He's a stand-up guy and looking for a job.
你应该问问汤姆,他是个诚实可靠的人,而且还在找工作呢。
I heard Thompson is accused of plagiarism.
我听说汤姆森被指抄袭。
No way.He's a stand-up guy.He'll never do something like that.
不可能。他是个诚实可靠的人,是不可能做那种事情的。

重点讲解

He's a sincere and reliable person.
He's a stand-up guy.
Stand-up在这儿不是动词短语“站起来”的意思,它是形容词,和guy组成一个短语a stand-up guy,可以写成a stand up guy。这个习语是褒义词,意思是“诚实可靠,有责任感,值得信赖的人”。Since and reliable常用于书面表达里。

分享到
重点单词
  • juryn. 陪审团,评委会 adj. 临时用的 vt. 挑选
  • classicn. 古典作品,杰作,第一流艺术家 adj. 第一流的,
  • reliableadj. 可靠的,可信的
  • plagiarismn. 剽窃,剽窃物
  • candyn. 糖果 vt. 用糖煮,使结晶为砂糖 vi. 结晶为
  • brilliantadj. 卓越的,光辉的,灿烂的 n. 宝石