影视剧中的职场美语 第13期:意外情况
日期:2014-01-02 16:26

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

Marc:Betty Suarez?
Betty Suarez?
Betty:Hi. That's me. Um, I have a hard copy of my resume if you need it. Should I follow you?
嗨! 我就是。如果你需要的话,我还有一份简历打印件。我应该跟你走吗?
Marc:Actually... there's been a mistake.
事实上……出了点儿差错。
Betty:A mistake?
差错?
Marc:All the entry-level positions we were hiring for... they've been filled. I'm sorry.
我们要招聘的最低级别职位...都已经招满了。抱歉。
Betty:Um, sir? While you got me here, I thought I could tell you a little about myself.
先生?既然让我来了,我想我还是该介绍一下自己。
And I can'timagine a more amazing place to start my career than Meade Publications.
我从小就醉心于杂志。我想象不到还有什么更好的地方。比Meade出版社更适合我开展事业了。
I know most of yourmagazines inside out. I try to devour as much as I can.
我对你们大部分杂志都了如指掌。能看的我都看过了。
Marc:Clearly.
知道了。
Betty:Also, I've learned so much through them. You know, stuff so beyond my world, like…likewho the up-and-comers are on the London art scene, or…And I have tons of ideas.
我通过他们学到了很多东西,和我的世界截然你不同的东西。比如谁是伦敦艺术展的新星。我也有不记其数的新点子。
I'm alwaysjotting stuff down on the subway.
我总是在坐地铁的时候做笔记,
But I'm getting ahead of myself, sir. All I really want is achance...
我就要超越我自己了,先生。我只想要一个机会...
Marc:Good-bye!
再见!
Betty:In any position or publication…I can type 100 words a minute!
能得到出版社的一个职位我一分钟能打100个字!

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自ugly Betty,《丑女贝蒂》

职场美语

I'm always nervous about interviews.What should I do?
我遇到面试总是紧张,我该怎么办呢?
Come on,Charley.Keep your shirt on!
别这样,查理,你需要保持冷静!

Honey,keep your shirt on,please.I'm sorry but the boss made me work late at the office.
亲爱的,你别发火。我很抱歉,但是老板要我在办公室加班。
In that case,how can you make it up to me?
这样的话,你怎么补偿我?

精讲部分

Calm down!
Keep your shirt on!
面试时自我介绍是必不可少的一个环节,这时想给面试官留下好印象,就一定要保持冷静,这时老外会说Keep your shirt on.这句话来源于人民到达美国这块新大陆创造新生活的年代。当时这里没什么行政司法机构,解决人与人之间争端的就是拳头。当人们大打出手前一定要先脱下衬衫,免得弄脏,扯破。这一来脱衬衫成了打架的前奏,而keep your shirt on其实就是劝人按捺一下火性。现在keep your shirt on则常用在争吵即将爆发时开导对方耐住性子别发火。

分享到
重点单词
  • resumev. 再继续,重新开始 n. 简历,履历; 摘要
  • scenen. 场,景,情景