影视剧中的职场美语 第100期:解释与澄清
日期:2014-05-23 17:13

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Ugly Betty,《丑女贝蒂》


Move.Jesse.

让让,杰西。

I'd bet you'd like to smash that guitar over his bedhead.

我打賭你很想把那把吉他朝他的床头砸过去。

No, I don't hate him.

不,我不恨他。

Well, you should. He totally led you on.

你该恨他.是他欺碥了你的感情。

Did he? I mean, it's not like he knew that I threw that party on the roof just so that his band could play.

是吗?他又不知道我在屋顶办晚会是为了能让他的乐队表演。

And to be fair, 1 never even told him that I liked him.

说实在的,我都没跟他说过我喜欢他。

So then why have you been acting all weird and avoiding him for the last month?

那你这一个月以来,为什么行为怪异而且还故意躲着他?

I don't know.

我也不知道。

You should go talk to him right now.

你应该现在过去找他聊聊。

I can't do that.

我做不到。

Yes, you can.

你做得到。

Well...I mean, 1 guess 1 should talk to him, you know? Just...before I leave,to clear the air.

嗯……我也觉得我该跟他聊聊,你明甴的,在我走之前澄清误会。

Totally.

完全正确。

Okay, yeah. Closure.

好,对…说清楚。

Okay, I gotta run. Betty, this is very big of you. And unlike in the past、I mean that as a complinicnt.

好了,我得走了。贝蒂,这次你真了不起。跟以前不一样,这次我是在夸你。

职场美语

It's my fault.

是我的错。

Don't blame yourself. Let me get this straight.

别责备你自己,让我把事情弄淸楚。

Do you have anything to say about the recent speculation about your corruption?

你对最近关于你贪污的传闻作何评论?

Let me get this straight. I'm in no way related with corruption of any kind.

让我把事实澄淸。我与任何形式的贪污腐败都没有关系。

重点讲解

Let me clarify on this issue.

Let me get this straight.

straight是“直的,笔直的”的意思。get sth. straight是英语中常用的习语, 字面意思是把事情弄得“直溜溜的”,也就是“把某事理得顺顺当当、清清楚楚”的意思。这个表达可以用在两个情境里,一个是“把复杂的问题梳理清 晰”,另外一个是“在一片谣言之中澄清事实”。

分享到
重点单词
  • guitarn. 吉他
  • relatedadj. 相关的,有亲属关系的
  • speculationn. 沉思,推测,投机
  • actingn. 演戏,行为,假装 adj. 代理的,临时的,供演出
  • faultn. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层 vt.
  • issuen. 发行物,期刊号,争论点 vi. & vt 发行,流
  • blamen. 过失,责备 vt. 把 ... 归咎于,责备
  • clarifyvt. 澄清,阐明,使 ... 明晰
  • corruptionn. 腐败,堕落,贪污
  • bandn. 带,箍,波段 n. 队,一群,乐队 v. 绑扎 v