影视剧中的职场美语 第37期:工作分配
日期:2014-02-17 16:18

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现

Just promise you'll use protection.
记得要做好保护措施
Protection from what?
保护什么
The sun. You know, sunburn?
皮肤 怕被阳光晒伤
I'm thinking about taking the boat out.
我计划坐船出海
Uh, talk to Nolan, would you?
记得跟诺兰说啊
Uh, look, Jack,
是这样的 杰克
I don't really know how to say this,
我不知道该怎么说
so I'm just gonna say it.
我就开门见山了
Me working here for you
我在这儿的工作
hasn't exactly been working out, has it?
并不很理想 是吧
You mean, 'cause you got drunk on your first shift
你是指 你上班第一天就喝得酩酊大醉
or 'cause I was hitting on your girlfriend?
还是指我追你女朋友的事
All of the above.
都有吧
It's just weird, you know?
感觉有点怪
Well, you'll get no disagreement from me.
这点我赞同
I already tried to fire you once.
我也曾想过把你炒了
Right.
也是
Well, I-look, I don't want to leave you high and dry,
我不想让你措手不及
so if you want me to work my shift today,
所以 如果你想要我轮今天的班
I'm happy to do it.
我很乐意效劳
No, no. I got it covered.
不 不用了 我能搞定
All right, then. I...
好吧 那...
I guess I'll see you around.
那我们回头见吧
You bet.
当然.
I'll put the sign out.
我会把招工牌放出去。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Revenge,《复仇》

职场美语

We're short-staffed at the moment.So I have to do all the designing,executing as well as marketing.
我们现在人手不足。所以我一个人要兼顾设计,执行和市场的工作。
Oh, We can't have you pulling the cart all by yourself.You will burn out.
哦,可不能让你一个人这么忙活,你会吃不消的。

Why do you bring Kenny back?You know we're archenemies.
你为什么把肯尼又请回来了?你知道我俩是宿敌。
Relax.We're a firm. We can't have you pulling the cart all by yourself all the time.
放松啦。咱们可是一个公司,不能让你一个人做所有的事情吧。

精讲部分

We can't have you do all the work.
We can't have you pulling the cart all by yourself.
pull the cart all by oneself字面意思为“独自一个人拉着手推车”,引申开来就是“自己一个人挑大梁,承担全部的责任”,即shoulder all the responsibilities by oneself,这是一个十分形象的比喻。那么“我们不能让你一人做所有工作”也就是:We can't have you pulling the cart all by yourself。

分享到
重点单词
  • disagreementn. 不合,争论,不一致
  • revengen. 报仇,报复,复仇愿望,获得满足的机会 vt. 报仇
  • shouldern. 肩膀,肩部 v. 扛,肩负,承担,(用肩)推挤
  • protectionn. 保护,防卫
  • shiftn. 交换,变化,移动,接班者 v. 更替,移转,变声
  • cartn. 手推车,(二轮)载货车 v. (用手推车)运送,(