影视剧中的职场美语 第109期:溜须拍马
日期:2014-06-06 17:08

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望主妇》


Oh, and I have your first recipe…apple Brownoafie Betty.

哦,我想到了你的第一个食谱…拍马屁苹果派,

That's, uh, Sam'specialty.

那是,呃,萨姆的拿手菜。

Since when is hard woik brownnosing?

从什么时候努力工作变成拍马屁了?

That young man is the first one here every morning.

那个年轻人每天早上是第一个来这儿的,

And the last one to leave at night.

并且晚上也是最后走的。

Yeah, well,it takes a lot of time to turn all that water into wine.

嗯,是啊,把水变成葡萄酒,的确会花费很多时间。

Well, I am sorryy you don't appreciate him.

那么,我很抱歉你不欣赏他。

I think he's tremendous.

我觉得他非常了不起。

In fact,I have decided to give him a promotion.

事实上,我决定給他升职。

A promotion to what?

升到什么职位?

Vice president

副总裁。

Hey, check my stationery, I'm vice president.

嘿,看看我的信笺,我才是副总裁。

Well, a company can have more than one.

呃,一个公司也可以有好几个。

There's plenty of work to go around.

这还有很多工作要做。

I don't believe this.

我真不敢相信。

You barely know the guy. I'm your son.

你只是才认识这个家伙,我是你的儿子。

I know you don't understand this now, but I am doing what I think it bcest for beth of us,

我知道你现在无法理解,但是我认为我所做的对我们俩都好。

Remember that sentence.You'll be hearing it the day I put you in a nursing home.

记住这句话。我把你送进疗养院的那天你会听到的。

职场美语

How did the meeting go?

会议开得怎么样?

Mark is a total yes man, so everything went as the bosses wished.

马克对老板唯命是从,什么都按照老板们的意愿敲定了。

Did I hear that Tony is being promoted?

我听说托尼要被提升了?

Yeah He's a total yes man. That's why it happened.

是的。他就纯粹靠着溜须拍马被提升的。

重点讲解

He always agrees with the boss.

He's a total yes man.

yes man是个英语常用俚语,含有贬义意味,意思是“应声虫,唯唪诺诺的人”。 有一部以yes Man命名的英文电影,翻译过来是“凡事都说好的应声去”或“好好先生”。大家有空时不妨看看这部电影,深刻体会一下这个习语的意思。

分享到
重点单词
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • recipen. 食谱,秘诀,药方
  • promotionn. 晋升,促进,提升
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • checkn. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案
  • appreciatevt. 欣赏,感激,赏识 vt. 领会,充分意识 vi.