影视剧中的职场美语 第24期:艰难选择
日期:2014-01-17 15:57

(单词翻译:单击)

经典再现
Scott, who should be fired?
斯科特,谁应该被炒?
I'm not the one to throw anybody under the bus. I really don't want to do it.
我不是那种落井下石的人。
Go ahead.
继续,继续。
I really don't want to it.You're forcing me to do this.
我真的不想这样做。你在逼我这样做。
I am.
我是在逼你。
I would say And, you know...if there was a little bit of distraction, everything else,it's hard for me to say it, because…
我想说,你知道,如果能有什么让我分心,任何其他的,我真的很难说出口,因为…
Scott, give me an answer, Scott!
斯科特,给我一个答案,斯科特!
Their hearts were in the right place,but I'd say probably it would be Dennis and Andrew.
他们都没做错什么,但我觉得应该炒掉丹尼斯和安德鲁。
Dennis and Andrew?
丹尼斯和安德鲁?
Brian, who would you fire? Tough choice.
布莱恩,你会炒了谁?艰难的选择。
It's a tough choice. I like all these guys. I think I'd have to fire Andrew.
真的很难抉择。所有人我都喜欢。我想我会炒了安德鲁。
I don't need the guy who just wants to do it his way.
他只按照自己的方式做事,我们不需要这样的人。
Jesse, who would you fire?
杰西,你会炒了谁?
Uh, probably Dennis.
可能是丹尼斯。
Okay. Why?
好,为什么呢?
Half of me thinks he could do a really good job and he's recognizable and he could pull money in,but the other half he just doesn't have the solid work ethic that I think it's gonna take to do some of this stuff.
我一方面认为他能做得很好,而且他名气高,可以募集很多善款。可另一方面,他却没有扎实的工作准则,而完成这样的工作正需要这个。

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自The Apprentice,《飞黄腾达》。

职场美语

I don't want to fire him.His ideas are very good.
我不想辞退他。他的创意非常不错。
But his arrogance is getting everybody uncomfortable.You have to bite the bullet and let him go.
但是他的傲慢让每个人都不舒服。你必须忍痛割爱,辞退他吧。

In this economic downturn,you have to bite the bullet,and cut down on welfare.
在这样经济不景气的时期,你不得不做出削减福利开支的艰难决定。
Why don't you go to work on bicycles instead of in expensive cars.
那为什么你还坐着昂贵的汽车上班,而不骑自行车呢?

精讲部分
You have to make a difficult decision.
You have to bite the bullet.
Bite the bullet就是“吃子弹”喽,在美国内战时期,给受伤士兵做手术时,作为麻醉剂的威士忌短缺,这个时候医生就会让士兵口含子弹,疼的时候就咬下去。后来bite the bullet逐渐引申为“做出一个艰难的抉择”或者“忍痛割爱”。

分享到
重点单词
  • decisionn. 决定,决策
  • recognizableadj. 可认识的,可承认的,可辨别的
  • arrogancen. 傲慢,自大
  • uncomfortableadj. 不舒服的,不自在的
  • apprenticen. 学徒 v. 使当学徒