影视剧中的职场美语 第80期:金字招牌
日期:2014-04-22 16:53

(单词翻译:单击)

身临其境练一练

本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望主妇》


Lynette:I ran into someone last week who said you guys were looking to hire. Is that true?

莱内特:上个星期我遇到了一个人说你们正在招聘,是真的吗?

Natalie:Yeah. Are you thinking of coming back? Because say the word,then I…

娜塔莉:是的,你有没有想过回来工作?你只要想回来,我就…

Lynette:No, no, not me. I was actually thinking more about Tom.

莱内特:不不不,不是我,我想的是汤姆。

Natalie:Oh, Tom?

娜塔莉:汤姆?

Lynette:Yeah, he's been thinking about making a move for a while.

莱内特:他一直想换份工作。

He kind of feels like he's done everything he can where he is now.

他觉得在现在这个岗位上,没什么好做的了。

Natalie:Huh. Well, Tom's certainly solid.

娜塔莉:啊,汤姆是很可靠。

Lynette:He's more then solid, Tom's ideas are spectacular.

莱内特:他不仅可靠,而且想法还高人一筹。

He's passionate about his work. His visual instincts are off the chart.

他对工作充满热情,他的眼界超出常人。

Natalie:Is he as good as you?

娜塔莉:他和你一样优秀?

Lynette:He's apples, I'm oranges, we excel in different areas.

莱内特:就好像他是苹果,而我是橘子,我们擅长的领域不同。

Trust me, you should give Tom a look.

相信我,你应该见见他。

Natalie:I don't need apples. I need someone like you. Cut throat. Ruthless.

娜塔莉:我不需要苹果,我需要像你这样的人。一针见血,铁面无情。

Lynette:Geez, Nat, you make me feel like some kind of shark.

莱内特:天哪,纳特。你说的我跟鲨鱼差不多了。

Ah, okay. You know, actually, if that's the kind of exec you're looking for...

啊,好的,事实上,如果你想要那种主管。

Natalie:You'd get a shark for me?

娜塔莉:你那里有这种鲨鱼?

Lynette:Yes, a very pretty shark.

莱内特:是的,非常好的鲨鱼。

职场美语

This opening has already been given to Tina.

这个空缺的职位已经给了缇娜。

She is the first choice.And she's on the up and up.

她是最佳人选,而且她诚实可信。

Can we trust her to the new CEO?

我们能信任她当新的CEO吗?

Yes,she's on the up and up with the board members.

可以。她对董事会成员总是开诚布公。

重点讲解

She's honest and reliable.

She's on the up and up.

On the up and up通常用来形容人“老实可靠,诚实的”。也可以用来形容数据,如:All these data are on the up and up.(所有的数据都是可靠的。)

这个表达还有另外一个比较常见的意思,即“持续地增长”:This stock is on the up-and-up.这只股票近来持续增长。

分享到
重点单词
  • excelvt. 超过,优于 vi. 胜出 n. [计] 电子表格
  • spectacularadj. 壮观的,令人惊叹的 n. 惊人之举,壮观的表演
  • reliableadj. 可靠的,可信的
  • desperateadj. 绝望的,不顾一切的
  • sharkn. 鲨鱼 n. 贪婪的人,放高利贷的人,老手 v. 诈
  • ruthlessadj. 残忍的,无情的
  • passionateadj. 热情的,易怒的,激情的
  • stockn. 存货,储备; 树干; 血统; 股份; 家畜 adj