有声读物《暮光之城•暮色》第283期:第十七章 游戏(8)
日期:2014-03-12 18:22

(单词翻译:单击)

小说原文

"That's wonderful, Jess," I said.

“太棒了,杰西。”我说道。

"So what did you do yesterday?" Jessica challenged, still sounding bothered by my lack of attention. Or maybe she was upset because I hadn't asked for details.

“那么,你昨天做了什么?”杰西卡问道,听起来还在为我的心不在焉而恼怒着。或许她只是有些失落,因为我没有问起更加详细的细节。

"Nothing, really. I just hung around outside to enjoy the sun."

“没做什么,真的。我只是在外头晃悠,享受阳光。”

I heard Charlie's car in the garage.

我听到查理的车开进车库的声音。

"Did you ever hear anything more from Edward Cullen?"

“你听到任何关于爱德华·卡伦的最新消息了吗?”

The front door slammed and I could hear Charlie banging around under the stairs, putting his tackle away.

前门被砰地关上了,我听到查理在楼梯底下乒乒乓乓地收拾着他的装备。

"Um." I hesitated, not sure what my story was anymore.

“呃嗯。”我迟疑着,不敢肯定要怎么掰我的故事。

"Hi there, kiddo!" Charlie called as he walked into the kitchen. I waved at him.

“嗨,你在啊,孩子!”查理一边走进厨房,一边喊道。我向他招了招手。

Jess heard his voice. "Oh, your dad's there. Never mind — we'll talk tomorrow. See you in Trig."

杰西听到了他的声音。“哦,你爸在啊。没关系——我们明天再聊。三角函数课上见。”

"See ya, Jess." I hung up the phone.

“回见,杰西。”我挂上了电话。

"Hey, Dad," I said. He was scrubbing his hands in the sink. "Where's the fish?"

“嗨,爸爸。”我说道。他在水槽里擦洗着手。“鱼在哪里?”

"I put it out in the freezer."

“我放进冰箱里了。”

"I'll go grab a few pieces before they freeze — Billy dropped off some of Harry Clearwater's fish fry this afternoon." I worked to sound enthusiastic.

“我得抢在它们被冻起来以前拿点出来——下午时比利来过,带了一点哈利?克里尔沃特的煎鱼来。”我努力让自己听起来热情些。

"He did?" Charlie's eyes lit up. "That's my favorite."

“真的?”查理的眼睛发亮了。“那是我的最爱。”

Charlie cleaned up while I got dinner ready. It didn't take long till we were sitting at the table, eating in silence. Charlie was enjoying his food. I was wondering desperately how to fulfill my assignment, struggling to think of a way to broach the subject.

在我准备晚餐的时候,查理动手把自己收拾干净。没过多久,我们俩就坐在了桌旁,沉默地吃着晚餐。查理很喜欢今晚的菜式。我则在拼命地想着要怎样进行自己的安排,挣扎着想要找出一种引出话题的办法。


《暮光之城》

与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他

语言讲解

1. lack of

没有,缺乏;不足,不够

eg. We all deplored her lack of good manners.

我们都叹惜她缺乏好态度。

eg. She put his failure to lack of experience.

她把他的失败归咎于缺乏经验。

2. ask for

请求,要求;寻找

eg. I didn't ask for the chairmanship. I was pitched into it.

我并不要求主席职位,我是被迫接受的。

eg. What we expressed to them is that we know they did not ask for this.

我们向他们表明的就是我们知道他们不要对这件事有什么刻意要求。

3. never mind(口语)

没有关系,不要记在心上

eg. One thing that I never mind having more of is better health.

有一样事情我绝不介意拥有得更多,那就是更加的健康。

eg. Never mind about that.

不必对此介意。

分享到
重点单词
  • upsetadj. 心烦的,苦恼的,不安的 v. 推翻,翻倒,扰乱
  • freezev. 冻结,冷冻,僵硬,凝固 n. 结冰,冻结
  • sinkn. 接收端,沟渠,污水槽,散热器 vi. 下沉,下落,
  • tacklev. 处理,对付,阻截 n. 用具,滑车,对付
  • silencen. 沉默,寂静 vt. 使安静,使沉默
  • enthusiasticadj. 热情的,热心的
  • broachn. 烧叉肉,叉子,凿子,拉刀 n. 胸针(=brooc
  • assignmentn. 分配,功课,任务,被指定的(课外)作业;(分派的)
  • kitchenn. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间