有声读物《暮光之城•暮色》第255期:第十五章 卡伦一家(4)
日期:2014-01-22 11:42

(单词翻译:单击)

小说原文

The kitchen was bright, happy, seeming to absorb my mood.

厨房显得既明朗又欢快,似乎被我的情绪感染到了。

"What's for breakfast?" I asked pleasantly.

“早餐吃什么?”我快活地问道。

That threw him for a minute.

这个问题让他想了足足一分钟。

"Er, I'm not sure. What would you like?" His marble brow puckered.

“呃,我不能肯定。你喜欢吃什么?”他大理石般的额头皱了起来。

I grinned, hopping up.

我咧嘴一笑,跳了起来。

"That's all right, I fend for myself pretty well. Watch me hunt."

“那好吧,我可是很擅长自力更生的。看着我怎么狩猎。”

I found a bowl and a box of cereal. I could feel his eyes on me as I poured the milk and grabbed a spoon. I sat my food on the table, and then paused.

我找出一只碗和一盒麦片。当我把牛奶倒进去,抓起一把勺子的时候,我能感觉到他的眼睛在看着我。我把自己的食物放到桌子上,然后停住了。

"Can I get you anything?" I asked, not wanting to be rude.

“需要我给你弄点什么吃的吗?”我不想显得太过无礼,于是问道。

He rolled his eyes. "Just eat, Bella."

他转了转眼睛。“吃吧,贝拉。”

I sat at the table, watching him as I took a bite. He was gazing at me, studying my every movement. It made me self-conscious. I cleared my mouth to speak, to distract him.

我坐到桌子旁,看着他,然后吃了一口。他注视着我,研究着我的每一个动作。这让我很不自在。我咽下嘴里的食物,开口说话,想要分散他的注意力。

"What's on the agenda for today?" I asked.

“今天有什么安排吗?”我问道。

"Hmmm…" I watched him frame his answer carefully. "What would you say to meeting my family?"

“呃嗯……”我看着他仔细地斟酌着自己的答案。“你觉得去见我的家里人怎么样?”

I gulped.

我吞咽了一下。

"Are you afraid now?" He sounded hopeful.

“你现在害怕了?”他听起来满怀希望。

"Yes," I admitted; how could I deny it — he could see my eyes.

“是的。”我坦白道。我怎么可能否认呢——他从我眼里就能看出来。

"Don't worry." He smirked. "I'll protect you."

“别担心。”他坏笑起来。“我会保护你的。”

"I'm not afraid of them," I explained. "I'm afraid they won't… like me. Won't they be, well, surprised that you would bring someone… like me… home to meet them? Do they know that I know about them?"

“我不是在害怕他们。”我解释道。“我是在害怕他们会……不喜欢我。难道他们不会,嗯,很惊讶,你居然带了一个……像我这样的人……回家去见他们?他们知道我知道他们的事吗?”


《暮光之城》

与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他

语言讲解

1. fend for

照料;抚养

eg. They are now orphans and we must fend for them.

他们现在是孤儿,我们一定要抚养他们。

eg. It means that residents, most living on less than one U.S. dollar a day, must fend for themselves without any illusions that their government or the rest of the world cares.

这意味着居民们,大多数一天以少于一美元为生,必须为他们自己而反抗,而没有任何幻想他们的政府或世界上的其他地方会关心他们。

2. hop up

加足马力;吸毒

eg. They laugh, chat and occasionally hop up to break into a goofy dance.

他们笑着、讨论着,有时候甚至突然蹦起来跳一段滑稽的舞蹈。

eg. So, hop up and chase your neighbor up a tree.

所以,请跳动起来吧,去树上追逐你的邻居嬉戏吧。

3. on the agenda

在议事日程上

eg. The fight against poverty is now on the agenda of every sector.

“与贫困战斗,现在这项工作已经列入每个部门的议事日程”。

eg. And the talks have started, and all the sensitive issues including the issue of settlement are on the agenda in these talks.

而现在谈判已经开始,而所有的敏感问题,包括定居点建设问题,都在会谈的议程上。

分享到
重点单词
  • distractvt. 转移,分心
  • spoonn. 匙,调羹,匙状物 vt. 以匙舀起 vi. 调情
  • framen. 框,结构,骨架 v. 构成,把 ... 框起来,陷
  • absorbvt. 吸纳,吸引 ... 的注意,吞并
  • rudeadj. 粗鲁的,无礼的 adj. 粗糙的,粗野的
  • sensitiveadj. 敏感的,灵敏的,易受伤害的,感光的,善解人意的
  • marblen. 大理石 vt. 使有大理石的花纹
  • povertyn. 贫困,贫乏
  • kitchenn. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间
  • bowln. 碗,碗状物,季后赛,圆形露天剧场 v. 打保龄球,