有声读物《暮光之城•暮色》第165期:第十章 审问(17)
日期:2013-09-17 17:10

(单词翻译:单击)

小说原文

I was miffed. "Phoenix is three times bigger than Seattle — just in population. In physical size —"

我有点恼火:“凤凰城是西雅图的三倍大——这仅仅是指人口。在面积上——”

"But apparently," he interrupted me, "your number wasn't up in Phoenix. So I'd rather you stayed near me." His eyes did that unfair smoldering thing again.

“但很显然,”他打断我的话。“在凤凰城的时候你还没有大难临头。所以我希望你能待在我附近。”他的眼睛又开始那种不公平的催眠了。

I couldn't argue, with the eyes or the motivation, and it was a moot point anyway. "As it happens, I don't mind being alone with you."

我没有争论,也许是因为他的眼睛,又或许是因为他的动机。更何况无论如何,争论这一点毫无意义。“碰巧,我不介意和你单独相处。”

"I know," he sighed, brooding. "You should tell Charlie, though."

“我知道。”他担忧地叹息道。“但是,你必须告诉查理。”

"Why in the world would I do that?"

“我究竟是为了什么要这样做呢?”

His eyes were suddenly fierce. "To give me some small incentive to bring you back."

他的眼神忽然尖锐起来:“为了给我一点小小的,把你带回来的动力。”

I gulped. But, after a moment of thought, I was sure. "I think I'll take my chances."

我吞咽了一下。但是,思考了片刻以后,我决定了。“我想我会试着碰碰运气的。”

He exhaled angrily, and looked away.

他生气地哼了一声,看向别处。

"Let's talk about something else," I suggested.

“让我们聊点别的事情。”我建议道。

"What do you want to talk about?" he asked. He was still annoyed.

“你想聊点什么?”他问道。他依然很气恼。

I glanced around us, making sure we were well out of anyone's hearing. As I cast my eyes around the room, I caught the eyes of his sister, Alice, staring at me. The others were looking at Edward. I looked away swiftly, back to him, and I. asked the first thing that came to mind.

我环顾四周,确认我们不在任何人的听力范围内。当我的目光梭巡着整个房间的时候,我遇上了他妹妹的视线,爱丽丝正注视着我。别的人则都看着爱德华。我立刻移开了视线,落回他身上。然后,我问了自己想到的第一件事。

"Why did you go to that Goat Rocks place last weekend… to hunt? Charlie said it wasn't a good place to hike, because of bears."

“为什么上周末你要去山羊岩荒野……去打猎呢?查理说那不是个野营的好地方,因为到处都是熊。”

He stared at me as if I was missing something very obvious.

他凝视着我,就好像我忽略了某件显而易见的事情。

"Bears?" I gasped, and he smirked. "You know, bears are not in season," I added sternly, to hide my shock.

“熊?”我喘着气说道,而他坏笑起来。“你知道,还没到可以捕猎熊的季节。”我坚决地补充道,想要掩饰自己的震惊。

《暮光之城》

与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他

语言讲解


1. It was a moot point. 这没有意义。

2. as it happens 碰巧;偶然发生

3. in the world 在世界上;到底

4. the first thing that came to mind 想到的第一件事

分享到
重点单词
  • swiftlyadv. 迅速地,敏捷地
  • annoyedadj. 恼怒的;烦闷的 v. 使烦恼;打扰(annoy
  • obviousadj. 明显的,显然的
  • populationn. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数
  • sternlyadv. 严格地,严肃地,坚定地
  • castv. 投,掷,抛,铸造,丢弃,指定演员,加起来,投射(目
  • interruptedadj. 中断的;被打断的;不规则的 vt. 打断;中断
  • incentiveadj. 刺激的,鼓励的 n. 刺激,鼓励,动机