公众人物毕业演讲(MP3+字幕)第569期:梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲(8)
日期:2020-05-14 11:36

(单词翻译:单击)

The fallout was fast in coming.
这件事的附带影响很快就出现了。
On the one side I had people, mostly women,
一方面,一些人,多数是女性,
who were furious with me for destroying their dream of having it all, for setting back the cause of feminism.
对我相当愤怒,说我完全毁了他们的梦想,让女权事业倒退。
On the other side were those who called me brave for taking a stand for motherhood.
另一方面,有些人夸我勇敢地站在了母性的立场上。
In fact neither entered into my thinking when I quit.
实际上,我辞职的时候压根儿就没想过以上的任何一个方面。
I left because it was the right decision for me, and me alone.
我离开,是因为这个决定对我而言是对的,而且是仅对我而言。
There's a reason I've always loved Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken, because I think he was on to something.
我一直都很喜欢罗伯特·弗罗斯特的那首诗--《未选择的路》,这是有原因的,因为我认为他说出了些道理。
Following the road less travelled really does mean making all the difference.
走那条少有人走的路,确实意味着一切将有所不同。
Heck, I'm still forging my own way, trying to balance work and family.
可不是吗,直到现在我仍在开拓我自己的路,试图在工作和家庭之间求得平衡。
Throughout your life you will have to set your own priorities, make your own decisions.
在一生当中,你必须要找到优先次序,自己做决定。

梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲

And they won't always be the best or the brightest ones,
这些决定不会总是最好的或最明智的,
but that's how you learn and come to understand who you really are and what matters to you.
但却是你学习并了解自己究竟是谁、什么对自己最重要的过程。
Tell me... I... I have to tell you, I have known plenty of people who have sacrificed their values for instant gratification.
我不得不说,我知道有很多人为着一时的满足而牺牲了自己的价值观。
Do that enough, and you'll lose yourself.
这样做多了,你将失去自我。
Only authenticity will keep your head on straight and your feet firmly planted.
只有真实的自己才能让你正视前方、脚踏实地。
So don't strive for somebody else's notion of perfection.
所以,不要追求别人眼里的完美。
It's an unattainable and ultimately ridiculous goal.
那种目标难以实现,最终也会变得很可笑。
Strive instead to be uniquely yourself.
相反,要努力成为独一无二的自己。
And, when in doubt, listen to your gut, because it already knows what you want to become.
陷入疑惑时,要倾听自己的内心,因为你的内心早已知道你想成为什么样的人。

分享到