公众人物毕业演讲(MP3+字幕)第302期:亚马逊创始人贝佐斯普林斯顿大学毕业演讲(1)
日期:2016-06-02 11:37

(单词翻译:单击)

演讲文本

As a kid, I spent my summers with my grandparents on their ranch in Texas.
在我还是一个孩子的时候,我的夏天总是在德州祖父母的农场中度过。
I helped fix windmills, vaccinate cattle, and do other chores.
我帮忙修理风车,为牛接种疫苗,也做其它家务。
We also watched soap operas every afternoon, especially "Days of our Lives."
每天下午,我们都会看肥皂剧,尤其是《我们的岁月》。
My grandparents belonged to a Caravan Club, a group of Airstream trailer owners who travel together around the U.S. and Canada.
我的祖父母参加了一个房车俱乐部,那是一群驾驶Airstream拖挂型房车的人们,他们结伴遍游美国和加拿大。
And every few summers, we'd join the caravan.
每隔几个夏天,我也会加入他们。
We'd hitch up the Airstream to my grandfather's car, and off we'd go, in a line with 300 other Airstream adventurers.
我们把房车挂在祖父的小汽车后面,然后加入300余名Airstream探险者们组成的浩荡队伍。
I loved and worshipped my grandparents and I really looked forward to these trips.
我爱我的祖父母,我崇敬他们,也真心期盼这些旅程。
On one particular trip, I was about 10 years old.
那是一次我大概十岁时的旅行。
I was rolling around in the big bench seat in the back of the car.
我照例坐在后座的长椅上。
My grandfather was driving.
祖父开着车。
And my grandmother had the passenger seat.
祖母坐在他旁边。
She smoked throughout these trips, and I hated the smell.
她一直在吸着烟,我讨厌烟味。
At that age, I'd take any excuse to make estimates and do minor arithmetic.
在那样的年纪,我会找任何借口做些估测或者小算术。

亚马逊创始人 Jeff Bezos普林斯顿大学毕业典礼演讲.jpg


I'd calculate our gas mileage - figure out useless statistics on things like grocery spending.
我会计算油耗还有杂货花销等鸡毛蒜皮的小事。
I'd been hearing an ad campaign about smoking.
我听过一个有关吸烟的广告。
I can't remember the details, but basically the ad said, every puff of a cigarette takes some number of minutes off of your life:
我记不得细节了,但是广告大意是说,每吸一口香烟会减少几分钟的寿命,
I think it might have been two minutes per puff.
大概是两分钟。
At any rate, I decided to do the math for my grandmother.
无论如何,我决定为祖母做个算术。
I estimated the number of cigarettes per days, estimated the number of puffs per cigarette and so on.
我估测了祖母每天要吸几支香烟,每支香烟要吸几口等等。
When I was satisfied that I'd come up with a reasonable number, I poked my head into the front of the car, tapped my grandmother on the shoulder,
然后心满意足地得出了一个合理的数字。接着,我把头探到车子前面,又拍了拍祖母的肩膀,
and proudly proclaimed, "At two minutes per puff, you've taken nine years off your life!"
然后骄傲地宣称,“每天吸两分钟的烟,你就少活九年!”

人物简介和演讲视频

人物简介

本视频是杰夫·贝佐斯(Jeff Bezos)在普林斯顿毕业典礼时的演讲,他创办了全球最大的网上书店亚马逊;这是温暖人心的伟大思想,我们的人生将为一系列的选择所填满,正像他的祖父曾经告诉过他的一样——善良比聪明更难。


分享到
重点单词
  • campaignn. 运动,活动,战役,竞选运动 v. 从事运动,参加竞
  • vaccinatev. 预防接种
  • particularadj. 特殊的,特别的,特定的,挑剔的 n. 个别项目
  • calculatev. 计算,估计,核算,计划,认为
  • benchn. 长凳,工作台,法官席 vt. 坐(在长凳上)
  • soapn. 肥皂 vt. 用肥皂洗,阿谀奉承
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • minoradj. 较小的,较少的,次要的 n. 未成年人,辅修科
  • figuren. 图形,数字,形状; 人物,外形,体型 v. 演算,
  • reasonableadj. 合理的,适度的,通情达理的