公众人物毕业演讲(MP3+字幕)第24期:比尔盖茨夫妇于斯坦福大学(5)
日期:2014-11-14 15:36

(单词翻译:单击)

演讲文本

That ran counter to our core belief.
这将同我们的核心信念背道而驰
Technology should benefit everyone.
技术应当让每个人受益
So we worked to close the digital divide.
于是我们开始行动 试图缩小这一数字鸿沟
I made a priority at Microsoft,
我原来在微软
and Melinda and I made it an early priority at our Foundation.
以及我和梅琳达在盖茨基金会早期都确立了
Donating personal computers to public libraries
向公共图书馆捐赠个人计算机这一优先事务
to make sure that everyone had access.
以帮助每个人获得计算机使用权
The digital divide was a focus of mine in 1997,
1997年 这一数字鸿沟是我的主要关注焦点
when I took my first trip to South Africa.
当时我是第一次去南非
I went there on business.
我是出公差
So I spent most of my time in meetings in downtown Johannesburg.
大多数时间都在约翰内斯堡中心城区开会
I stayed in the home of one of the richest families of South Africa.
住在南非国内非常有钱的一位富豪家里
It had only been three years since the election of Nelson Mandela
当时离纳尔逊?曼德拉当选只有三年时间
marked the end of apartheid.
种族隔离刚刚终结
When I sat down for dinner with my hosts,
我同屋子的主人坐在一起用餐
they used a bell to call the butler.
主人用铃来呼唤仆人
After dinner, the women and men separated and the men smoked cigars.
餐后 女人们会和男人们分开 男人们会去抽雪茄
I thought, good thing I read Jane Austen,
我心想 幸好我读过简·奥斯汀的作品
or I wouldn't have known what was going on.
否则我估计根本无法理解这里发生了什么

人物简介和演讲视频

人物简介
本视频是比尔·盖茨和夫人梅琳达·盖茨在斯坦福大学2014年毕业典礼上的演讲。整个演讲以“乐观”为主线,强调了他们对科技的乐观态度,以及对世界美好未来的乐观态度。盖茨夫妇轮流讲述了自己的亲身经历和故事,告诉学生应该站在他人的立场上,感同身受那些处境不及自己的人,尽自己所能去帮助那些需要帮助的人,让全世界所有人类同胞都有一样的美好未来。

分享到
重点单词
  • electionn. 选举
  • foundationn. 基础,根据,建立 n. 粉底霜,基金会
  • separatedadj. 分居;分开的;不在一起生活的 v. 分开;隔开
  • benefitn. 利益,津贴,保险金,义卖,义演 vt. 有益于,得
  • priorityn. 优先权,优先顺序,优先
  • coren. 果心,核心,要点 vt. 挖去果核
  • countern. 计算器,计算者,柜台 [计算机] 计数器 adj.