公众人物毕业演讲(MP3+字幕)第568期:梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲(7)
日期:2020-05-11 09:38

(单词翻译:单击)

I thought I had found success in 1989 when, after several years in the business, I arrived at 60 Minutes.
在新闻界工作几年后,我于1989年去了“新闻60分”,我想我就是在那个时候获得成功的。
I had just had our first son, Ben, and this was the only job I had ever truly coveted.
当时我刚刚有了第一个儿子,本,那才是我唯一真正梦寐以求的工作。
I quickly became the media's poster woman for having it all.
因为我什么都具备,很快我就成了这家媒体的招牌人物。
Except for one thing: the only thing I had was a constant knot in my stomach.
但有一件事除外:我心里常有一个结。
When I was traveling the world covering stories, I literally ached for my child.
那就是我到世界各地报道新闻的时候,我真的很想念我的孩子。
When I was home, I felt guilty not hanging around the corridors of CBS and chatting up my boss, Don Hewitt.
我在家的时候,又对自己没有在CBS走廊里和老板唐·休伊特聊天而感到内疚。
Eventually, something had to give.
有些东西终究需要放弃。
I became pregnant with our second son Gabe,
之后我又怀上了第二个儿子加布,
and Don and I immediately butted heads over which baby should take precedence: his baby 60 Minutes, or mine.
唐立刻就哪个孩子应该有优先权和我争论了起来,是他的《新闻60分》,还是我的孩子。

梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲

I remember sitting across from him when I suddenly had a flashback:
我记得坐在他对面时,以前发生的一幕突然闪现在我的脑海中:
Several years earlier, while still single and working my way up the ladder,
几年前,我还是单身,处在事业的爬坡期,
I had grabbed drinks with a seasoned and respected female producer.
有一次我和一位经验丰富、受人尊敬的女制片人一起喝酒。
After probably one too many, she confided in me that her biggest regret was never marrying or having children.
可能是酒喝多了,她向我吐露心扉,说自己最大的遗憾是没有结婚生子。
Something she could not admit publicly -- it just wouldn't look good
这种事她不能公开说--说出来也不好,
but she had given everything for her job, including herself.
她把一切都奉献给了工作,包括她自己。
Flash forward: Don probably thought I'd had one too many when I abruptly ended our heated conversation.
再回到刚才的场景:当我突然结束我们激烈的谈话时,唐可能也以为我喝多了。
I believe the words I uttered as I walked out the door were, "I'm out of here."
我相信我走出门时说的是这么一句:“我不干了。”
Not very mature, but, that night I slept like a baby as the knot in my stomach unraveled.
那样做不是很成熟,但是那天晚上我睡得像婴儿一样香甜,因为我的心结解开了。

分享到