点滴英语天天学第306期:雅思词汇(166)
日期:2020-05-14 07:15

(单词翻译:单击)

1. Expression:hair-raising

Explanation:Frightening, chilling, or disturbing. (可怕的,令人不寒而栗的,令人不安的)

Example: Walking through that graveyard last night was quite hair-raising.

昨晚走过那片墓地真实令人不寒而栗。

Please call your dog off because the children feel hair-raising.

请把你的狗叫开,因为孩子们觉得可怕。

He felt uncomfortable from head to foot and uneasy at heart due to the late hour, the last few exhausting days and his hair-raising escape.

夜深了,多日的疲乏与逃走的惊惧,使他身心全不舒服。

2. Expression:in tall cotton

Explanation:To be in a time or period of great success or wellbeing; to be doing very well;to be on easy street.(非常成功,做得很好,非常幸福

Example:We were in tall cotton after my wife's late uncle left us his fortune.

我妻子已故的叔叔留给我们一笔财产,我们过着非常幸福和富裕的生活。

I get some money at the track, and I’m really in tall cotton.

我在跑道边见到一些钱,我运气真好。

A: Don’t you remember? Two years ago, Jane’s business was in tall cotton, but she was beside herself and sucess went to her heasd. Then her business fell on the rocks and finally went to the dogs.

你还记得吗?Jane在两年以前生意做得非常成功,但是她忘乎所以,被成功冲昏了头脑。接着,她的生意垮掉,最后破产了。

B: It is true that pride goes before a fall. I must remind myself of that.

真是“骄兵必败”啊!我必须时刻提醒自己。

3. Expression:in the bag

Explanation:Achieved or won almost as a certainty. (十拿九稳的,稳操胜券的

Example:Don't start to think we've got this game in the bag, gentlemen. I've seen teams make bigger comebacks than this, so we can't let up.

别以为我们已经稳操胜券了,先生们。我看到过球队有比这更大的反攻,所以我们不能松懈。

And then, with the election all but in the bag , the report came out and changed everything.

然后,由于选举稳操胜券,所以新闻媒体就报道了这事,可这一报道改变了一切。

The election is in the bag unless the voters find out something about my past.

除非选民们发现了关于我过去的一些事情,否则我在这次选举中会十拿九稳地获胜。

A: I am taking the final exam tomorrow.

我明天要参加期末考试。

B: Don’t worry, honey. You have been studying so hard these days that the exam must be in the bag for you.

宝贝,别担心。你这些日子以来学习如此刻苦,你一定会拿下的。

分享到