历史频道《人类:我们的故事》第九集第3期:超自然现象
日期:2016-03-11 11:08

(单词翻译:单击)

我们的故事

Mercy Lewis and nine other women and girls claim Corey is a witch.

默西·刘易斯与另外九名妇女和女孩 声称科里是个女巫

Haunting their dreams,hurting them without touching them.

说她制造梦魇 不用接触就能伤害她们


Mercy testifies:"I believe in my heart"that Martha Corey is a most dreadful witch,

默西指证道:我心里深深相信 玛莎·科里是个最可怕的女巫

biting, pinching and choking me.

"不停地撕咬我 蹂躏我 扼住我的喉咙"

All considered evidence of witchcraft.

所有证词都证明巫术的存在

The people of Salem are puritans.

在塞勒姆生活的都是清教徒

They live by the Bible,in fear of the devil,

他们谨遵而活 对魔鬼充满了恐惧

blaming him for famine, disease and conflict.

认为魔鬼是导致饥荒 疾病和矛盾的元凶

The fascinating thing about the Salem witch trials

塞勒姆女巫审判的特别之处在于

is they occur at a crucial tipping point in the history of America.

它处在美洲历史发展的 一个转折点上

Supernatural explanations are first and foremost in their mind.

把这解释为"超自然现象" 是人们的第一反应

They see the devil allied with the Indians.

他们看到魔鬼和印第安人同行

So if you can imagine sitting in your living room with your tiny tallow candle

想象一下 你坐在自己的屋子里 只燃了一支小牛油烛

and your window's cracked open a bit for the breeze,

窗户被微风吹开了一条小缝

every snap of the branch you hear,every rustle of a leaf you hear,

树枝吱吱呀呀摇摆 树叶窸窸窣窣作响

is either the devil or the Indians,this is their nightly experience.

你会觉得不是魔鬼来了 就是印第安人来了 每晚都在惊慌中度过

For three hundred years, the West has been gripped by a witch-hunting frenzy.

三百年来 西方世界都笼罩在 "猎巫"的狂乱之中

45,000 put to death.80% women.

45,000人被处死 其中百分之八十是女人

重点讲解

1、consider

认为;看待

We don't consider our customers to be mere consumers; we consider them to be our friends.

我们没有把客户仅仅看作是消费者;我们还把他们当作朋友。

I had always considered myself a strong, competent woman.

一直以来,我始终认为自己是个女强人。

考虑;斟酌

The government is being asked to consider a plan to fix the date of the Easter break.

人们要求政府考虑确定复活节假期日期的计划。

You do have to consider the feelings of those around you.

你的确需要考虑周围人的感受。

打算;考虑

I had seriously considered telling the story from the point of view of the wives.

我认真考虑过从为人妻者的视角来讲述这个故事。

Watersports enthusiasts should consider hiring a wetsuit as well as a lifejacket.

除了租救生衣,水上运动爱好者还应该考虑租一套潜水服。


2、conflict

争执;争论;分歧

Try to keep any conflict between you and your ex-partner to a minimum.

尽量将自己与前配偶之间的摩擦减到最小。

Employees already are in conflict with management over job cuts.

雇员已经就裁员一事与管理层发生了争执。

(军事)冲突;战斗

talks aimed at ending four decades of conflict.

旨在结束持续了40年的冲突的会谈

The National Security Council has met to discuss ways of preventing a military conflict.

国家安全委员会开会讨论防止发生军事冲突的办法。

(信仰、观念或利益之间的)严重分歧,冲突

There is a conflict between what they are doing and what you want.

他们所做的与你想要的之间存在冲突。

Do you feel any conflict of loyalties?

有没有觉得两面效忠存在冲突?

分享到
重点单词
  • militaryadj. 军事的 n. 军队
  • candlen. 蜡烛
  • hauntingadj. 不易忘怀的 动词haunt的现在分词
  • crucialadj. 关键的,决定性的
  • claimn. 要求,要求权;主张,断言,声称;要求物 vt. 要
  • fascinatingadj. 迷人的
  • securityn. 安全,防护措施,保证,抵押,债券,证券
  • faminen. 饥荒,极度缺乏
  • mercyn. 怜悯,宽恕,仁慈,恩惠 adj. 仁慈的,宽
  • branchn. 分支,树枝,分店,分部 v. 分支,分岔