重温经典《蒙娜丽莎的微笑》第34期:是按照别人的期望去做还是做自己
日期:2012-09-13 09:11

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

We do. In the Newport house.
我们有,在新港屋子里
But it’s small. Tiny.
只要一幅小的,很小
They can paint their own. Van Gogh in a box, ladies.
女士们,你们自己也可以画,盒子里的梵高
The newest form of mass-distributed art:
大众传播的新形式:
Paint by numbers.
分解绘画
"Now everyone can be van Gogh. It’s so easy.
"现在每个人都可以成为梵高,很容易
Just follow the simple instructions...
只要按照说明...
and in minutes, you’re on your way to being an artist." ...
只要几分钟,你就可以成为一个艺术家"
Van Gogh by numbers?
按照步骤成为梵高?
Ironic, isn’t it? Look at what we have done to the man...
很有讽刺意味,是吗? 看看我们都对他做了什么...
who refused to conform his ideals to popular taste. ..
他拒绝为了大众品位改变他的理想
Who refused to compromise his integrity.
为了保持人格完整,拒绝妥协
We have put him in a tiny box and asked you to copy him.
我们把他放在小盒子里面,复制他
So the choice is yours, ladies.
所以,选择权在你们自己
You can conform to what other people expect or you can—
你们可以按照别人的期望去做,也可以--
I know. Be ourselves.
我知道,做你们自己
You’re a sight for sore eyes.
你真让我们望眼欲穿
I would’ve been on time but, silly me, I thought class was in the classroom.
我本可以不迟到的,我真笨 还以为课在教室里上呢
Glad you could join us, Mrs. Jones. We thought we’d lost you.
很高兴你能加入我们,琼斯夫人 我还以为你不会来了
There’s an unwritten rule for marr-- -Don’t bother.
有个不成文的规定-- -别麻烦了
Since your wedding, you’ve missed six classes, a paper and your midterm.
你结婚以后,已经缺了6节课 一次论文写作,和一次期中测验
Well, thank God I didn’t miss the paint-by-numbers lecture.
感谢上帝,我赶上了这堂分解作画的课
I was on my honeymoon and then I had to set up house.
我刚渡完蜜月,还得收拾屋子

重点解释
妙语佳句:
conform:使顺从
例如:The Night Rider lamp has been designed to conform to new British Standard safety requirements...
“夜行者”灯的设计符合新的英国安全标准的要求。
Many children who can't or don't conform are often bullied...
很多不能或不按规矩行事的小孩常常被人欺负。

compromise:妥协
例如:Encourage your child to reach a compromise between what he wants and what you want...
鼓励孩子在他的愿望和你的愿望之间找到一个折中点。
The government has compromised with its critics over monetary policies...
政府已经就货币政策向批评人士作出让步。

剧情百科常识:


50年代的美国虽然女性的地位渐渐受到重视,但在上层社会封建思想仍旧非常严重。在卫斯理这所著名的女子大学,学生们大都有着良好的家庭背景,从小接受过优秀的教育。但学院对学生的教育不是教他们如何获得自己感兴趣的学科知识,也不重视心理教育,而是把学生的成功与否定义为今后的婚姻,她们学习的目的无非是嫁一个好丈夫。

考考你:
生产关系必须适合生产力。
发言人表示,目前还不会妥协。

答案下期公布
上一期的答案
He shows an almost childlike timidity in talking with strangers.
He tried to camouflage his real intentions by talking about friendship and so on.

分享到
重点单词
  • encouragevt. 鼓励,促进,支持
  • integrityn. 诚实,正直,完整,完善
  • camouflagen. 伪装,掩饰,迷彩服 v. 伪装,欺瞒
  • timidityn. 胆小,胆怯,羞怯
  • monetaryadj. 货币的,金融的
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • ironicadj. 说反话的,讽刺的
  • botherv. 使恼怒,使不安,烦扰,费心 n. 烦扰,麻烦,焦急
  • conformvt. 使一致,遵守,使顺从 vi. 一致,符合
  • compromisen. 妥协,折衷,折衷案 vt. 妥协处理,危害 vi.