(单词翻译:单击)
Hi, this is Your Health, Quickly, a Scientific American podcast series!
大家好,欢迎来到《科学美国人》播客系列节目《健康快讯》!
We bring you the latest vital health news: Discoveries that affect your body and your mind.
我们将为大家带来最新健康要闻:影响人们身心健康的发现
And we break down the medical research to help you stay healthy.
我们将分析医学研究,帮助大家保持健康
I’m Tanya Lewis. I’m Josh Fischman. We’re Scientific American’s senior health editors.
我是谭雅·刘易斯
On today’s show, we’re talking about ultra-processed foods—what they are, whether they’re bad for you, and why it’s so hard to study their effects.
在今天的节目中,我们将讨论超加工食品是什么,它们是否对人体有害,以及为什么研究它们的影响如此困难
I don’t know about you, Josh, but I’m a big fan of ice cream.
乔什,我不知道你怎么样,但我很喜欢吃冰淇淋
I often eat cereal for breakfast, sometimes with a bit of fruit yogurt. And I enjoy a good gin cocktail.
我早餐经常吃麦片,有时加一点水果酸奶
What do you think these foods have in common?
你觉得这些食品有什么共同之处?
Wait a minute. You’re actually giving me a pop quiz?
等等,你真的要给我做突击测验吗?
Yes I am.
是的,我要给你做突击测验
But there are so many different right answers here.
不过,有很多不同的正确答案
All those foods have a lot of sugar. In one form or another. They’ve all been linked to poor health. And they all have fruit as an ingredient, even the gin.
所有这些食物都含有大量的糖
Which one are you looking for?
哪个是你要找的答案?
The answer I was looking for was that they are all ultra-processed.
我想要的答案是,这些食品都经过超加工处理
Oh. Yeah, of course. But what exactly is “ultra-processed food,” and how does it differ from “processed” food? Is it bad for you?
是的,当然
Here to answer some of these questions for us is our editorial intern, Lori Youmshajekian.
为我们回答其中一些问题的是我们的编辑实习生洛莉·尤姆沙基安
She’s writing a news story about ultra-processed foods.
她正在写一篇关于超加工食品的新闻报道
Lori, welcome to Your Health, Quickly!
洛莉,欢迎来到《健康快讯》节目!
Thanks for having me.
感谢你邀请我
Hey there, Lori.
你好,洛莉
So Lori, I’ve heard of processed foods before.
洛莉,我之前听说过加工食品
I always thought of them as just any kind of packaged or prepared food, like chips or candy.
我一直觉得加工食品就是一种包装好的食物或现成的食物,比如薯片、糖果
So what makes a food “ultra processed,” and how is that different from just “processed” food?
那么是什么让一种食物成为“超加工”食品呢? 它与“加工”食品又有什么不同呢?
So, the rule of thumb is that ultra-processed foods are the things that you can’t make in your own kitchen.
经验之谈是,超加工食品是你无法在自己的厨房里制作的东西
And that’s because they’ve gone through some kind of industrial processing, where the ingredients have been changed in a way that you just wouldn’t be able to do with domestic equipment, or there are additives to preserve the food, make it crunchier, shinier, all those sorts of things.
这是因为它们经过了某种工业加工
They’re typically designed to be ready to eat and really don’t resemble the raw ingredients they’re made from.
它们通常被设计成即食食品,与制作食物的原料完全不同
What are some examples?
有什么例子吗?
You might recognize things like chips or sodas. But also granola bars or breakfast cereals, or even protein powders. So it’s a really diverse group of food.
你可能会辨别出薯片或苏打水之类的东西
Completely unprocessed food is something basically straight from the farm or your garden, like a potato you just pulled from the ground.
完全未经加工的食物基本上是直接从农场或菜园中采摘的东西,比如刚从地里拔出来的土豆