《名人传记》之史蒂芬·霍金时间简史第28期:一种巨大的勇气
日期:2016-04-18 17:15

(单词翻译:单击)

时间简史

One year, the Hawkings took me along when We Wenz' to a cottage in Wales near the River Wye

有一年 霍金一家人带我一起 那时韦·文茨来到 威尔士惠河畔的小屋

and this cottage was up a hill and there was a bit of a paved little sidewalk that went up to the cottage

这个小屋在半山腰上 那有一条 通往小屋的铺砌的小道


which I had not been up, and of course.I wanted to do it in the least number of trips I could imagine

当然 我并没有上去 我想尽可能少走几个来回

so we put Stephen's batteries under his chair his wheelchair has space for batteries

所以我们把史蒂芬的电池放到椅子下面 他的椅子有空间放电池

and put extra batteries under there which Stephen didn't realize that I'd put under there

还能把额外的电池放那下面 史蒂芬没意识到我把电池放下面了

so he didn't realize his wheelchair was as heavily laden.

所以他没意识到他的轮椅负载那么重

Stephen got quite a bit ahead of me, and he was turning the corner to go around to his house, but that was on a slope

史蒂芬走到我前头一点 然后准备转弯 走向他的屋子 但那是在一个斜坡上

so I looked up, and I noticed Stephen's wheelchair slowly tipping backward.

所以我向上看 注意到史蒂芬的轮椅在慢慢地向后滑

Of course, I was about ten meters away and tried to run up there, but I was not able to get there

当然 我大概在十米外 我开始冲向他 但是在他跌入灌木丛之前

rapidly enough before he toppled backward into the bushes.

我没能赶上

So it was a bit of a shocking sight to see this master of gravity getting overcome by the weak gravitational force of Earth.

所以那是一幅有点可怕的景象 看着这个精通万有引力的大师正在克服 地球那微弱的重力

One of the worst things for me would be having people there all the time.

对于我来说 最糟糕的事情之一就是总有人到这里来

Never alone. I couldn't bear that.And yet he finds things funny

不能一个人安静地待会 我没法忍受 然而他发现这些事很有趣

and he enjoys life and he goes dashing about all over the place and I think this is tremendous.

而且他享受这生活 冲向所有地方 我觉得这是一种巨大的勇气

But it's a sort of courage I haven't got and his father hadn't got it, and we cannot but admire it

一种我所没有的勇气 他父亲也没有 我们都没有 我们只能表示敬佩

but wonder how on earth he got it, really.

只能怀疑他究竟如何获得这份勇气 真的

重点讲解

1、imagine

想象;设想

He could not imagine a more peaceful scene.

他想象不出比这更祥和的景象。

She couldn't imagine living in a place like that.

她无法想象住在那样一个地方。

猜测;猜想;认为

I imagine you're referring to Jean-Paul Sartre.

我猜你说的是让-保罗·萨特。

We tend to imagine that the Victorians were very prim and proper.

我们往往认为维多利亚时代的人们都一本正经,谨言慎行。

臆想;幻想

I realised that I must have imagined the whole thing.

我意识到大概整件事都是我臆想出来的。


2、overcome

克服;控制;战胜

Molly had fought and overcome her fear of flying.

莫莉已经努力克服了对飞行的恐惧。

Find a way to overcome your difficulties.

找出办法战胜困难。

(感情上)受到极大影响,承受不起

The night before the test I was overcome by fear and despair.

考试前的晚上,恐惧和绝望让我内心无比惊慌。

A dizziness overcame him, blurring his vision.

他感到一阵眩晕,眼前发黑。

(烟、毒气等)熏倒,使受不了

The residents were trying to escape from the fire but were overcome by smoke.

居民试图逃离火场,却被浓烟熏倒了。

分享到
重点单词
  • sidewalkn. 人行道 =pavement(英)
  • peacefuladj. 安宁的,和平的
  • gravityn. 重力,严重,庄重,严肃
  • scenen. 场,景,情景
  • tendv. 趋向,易于,照料,护理
  • gravitationaladj. 重力的,引力作用的
  • havenn. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,
  • overcomevt. 战胜,克服,(感情等)压倒,使受不了 vi. 获
  • dizzinessn. 头昏眼花,眩晕
  • slopen. 倾斜,斜坡,斜面,斜线,斜率 vt. 使倾斜 vi