(单词翻译:单击)
时间简史
We had this meeting at the Institute of Space Physics in New York.
我们在纽约的空间物理研究院 召开了一次会议
I said, "Before we reach a final conclusion.
我说 "在我们得到最终结果前"
we ought to throw into the pot still another object a gravitationally completely collapsed object.
"我们得把另一样东西扔进" 这个大熔炉" 一个因重力而完全坍缩的物体
Well, after you've used the phrase.a gravitationally completely collapsed object ten times.
当你使用了这么一个说法 一个因重力而完全坍缩的物体" 十遍之后
you conclude you've got to get a better name.
你会意识到最好给它起个名字
So that's when I switched to the word "black hole."
正是那时候我想到了这么一个词 "黑洞"
The word "black hole," which John Wheeler coined, suddenly caught on.
"黑洞" 这个约翰·惠勒灵光一闪想到的词 应运而生
Everybody adopted it, and from then on people around the world in Moscow in America.
从此以后 每个人都接受了它 全世界所有的人 不论身处莫斯科 美国
in England and elsewhere could know they were speaking about the same thing.
英国 还是什么地方 都知道了他们一直以来谈论的都是同一个东西
And not only that, but suddenly the whole range of concepts got through to the general public
情况远不止如此 突然之间 所有这些奇思妙想都传达给了公众
and even science-fiction writers all of a sudden could talk about it.
而且科幻小说家们一下子都能谈论 有关黑洞的一切
Tonight, my friends we stand on the brink of a feat unparalleled in space exploration.
今晚 我的朋友们 我们一同站在宇宙探索中 一个无与伦比的胜利旁
If the data on my returning probe ship matches my computerized calculations.
如果我的穿梭机所取回的数据 与理论计算结果相符
I will travel where no man has dared to go.
我就要亲身探索从未有人胆敢到达的地方
Into the black hole?In through and beyond.Why, that's crazy!Ha! Impossible!
进入黑洞吗 进入 穿过 一路向前 为什么 这太疯狂了 这不可能
重点讲解
1、conclusion
结论;推论
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that she's a very great musician.
这些年来,我得出的结论是她是一位非常伟大的音乐家。
I have tried to give some idea of how I feel — other people will no doubt draw their own conclusions.
我试着说了一些我的感受,其他人无疑会有他们自己的结论。
必然会发生的事;事先料定的结局
It was a foregone conclusion that I would end up in the same business as him.
早已注定我最终会和他干同一行。
The championship result was almost a foregone conclusion.
锦标赛的结果差不多在意料之中。
匆忙地下判断;草率地下结论
I didn't want her to jump to the conclusion that the divorce was in any way her fault.
我不想让她草率地断定离婚完全是她的错。
Forgive me. I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions.
原谅我,我不该草率地下结论。

2、catch on
明白;认识到
He got what he could out of me before I caught on to the kind of person he'd turned into.
我还没有意识到他已经变成了那样的人,他就已经从我这儿把能套走的都套走了。
Wait a minute! I'm beginning to catch on.
等一下!我开始有点懂了。
时兴;流行
The idea has been around for ages without catching on.
这个观点已经提出来有年头了,可是一直没被广泛接受。
