(单词翻译:单击)
时间简史
Shortly after my 21 st birthday I went into hospital for tests.
我21岁生日后不久 我来到医院检查
They took a muscle sample from my arm stuck electrodes into me
他们取了我的手臂肌肉样本 把电极插在我身上
and injected some radiopaque fluid into my spine.
把显影剂注入我的脊椎
and watched it going up and down with X-as they tilted the bed.
然后把床倾斜用X光扫描 从头扫到尾
I was diagnosed as having ALS amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or motor neuron disease, as it is also known.
我被诊断为ALS 肌萎缩性脊髓侧索硬化症 又叫做运动神经元疾病
The doctors could offer no cure and gave me 21/2 years to live.
医生没有治疗方案 告诉我只剩下2年半的时间可活
I went into the graduates' common room looking, really, for someone to have lunch with.
我来到毕业生休息室 找有谁能一起吃饭的
There was nobody around that I particularly wished to have lunch with and then Stephen walked through the door.
没有人我期望的那样能够陪我一起吃午饭 这时 史蒂芬进了房间
I don't know what he was doing at Oxford. I've certainly forgotten now.
我不知道他在牛津干什么 我已经忘记了
And so Stephen generously went off to buy the drinks and brought them and put them on the table.
史蒂芬慷慨地出去 买了些喝的 带回来放在桌子上
And as he put his pint of beer down he spilled it.
他放下一品脱啤酒 他分了一下
I sort of said genially "Oh, heavens. Drinking at this time of day!"
我高兴地说 "老天 尽情喝吧"
He then told me he'd been in Addenbrooke's for three weeks
然后他告诉我 他在阿登布鲁克有三个星期了
and they'd done a whole series of tests and they'd decided what was wrong with him.
他们做了一系列的检查 诊断出 他得了什么病
And he told me very straight and flat that he was gradually going to lose the use of his body.
他很平静的告诉我 他将渐渐地不能掌控 自己的身体
that eventually only his heart and his lungs would still be operating, and his brain.
到最后 只有心脏和肺 大脑还能工作
and that they'd told him that eventually he would essentially have the body of a cabbage.
他们告诉他 最终基本上全部瘫痪
but his mind would still be in perfect working order and he would be unable to communicate with the rest of the world.
但是他仍然能够很好思考 他将无法和别人交流
重点讲解
1、particular
特定的;特指的
I remembered a particular story about a postman who was a murderer.
我记得有个故事,讲的是一个邮递员杀人的事情。
I have to know exactly why it is I'm doing a particular job.
我必须明确知道我为什么要做特定的一项工作。
特殊的;特别的;独特的
I have a particular responsibility to ensure I make the right decision.
我肩负特殊责任,必须确保自己作出的决定是正确的。
Fatigue is a particular problem for women.
疲劳是女性特有的问题。
没什么重要(或特别)的事物(或人)
I went along thinking of nothing in particular only looking at things around me.
我一路走着,没想什么特别的事,只是四下张望着。
Drew made some remarks to nobody in particular and said goodbye.
德鲁说了一些不针对任何人的话就告辞了。

2、generous
(尤指在钱财上)慷慨的,大方的
German banks are more generous in their lending.
德国银行的借贷条件更为宽松。
The gift is generous by any standards.
无论以哪个标准来衡量,这都是一份厚礼。
宽厚的;仁慈的;宽宏大量的
He was always generous in sharing his enormous knowledge.
他从不吝啬与人分享自己渊博的知识。
He was generous enough to congratulate his successor on his decision.
他十分大度地祝贺他的继任者做出了决定。
丰富的;大量的;充足的
a generous six weeks of annual holiday.
充裕的6个星期长的年假
He should be able to keep his room tidy with the generous amount of storage space.
有那么宽绰的储物空间,他应该可以保持房间的整齐。
