《名人传记》之史蒂芬·霍金时间简史第11期:才华横溢的年轻人
日期:2016-04-01 14:25

(单词翻译:单击)

时间简史

I felt that there were two areas of theoretical physics.I might study at Cambridge.

我感觉理论物理,有两个领域 我在剑桥可能会研究的两个领域

One was cosmology, the study of the very large.The other was elementary particles,the study of the very small.

一个是宇宙学 研究宏观 另一个是基本粒子 研究微观


However, I thought elementary particles were less attractive because there was no proper theory.

然而 我认为基础粒子 缺乏吸引力 因为没有合适的理论

All they could do was arrange the particles in families like in botany.

他们所要做的 就是粒子的分类 就像植物学

In cosmology, on the other hand,there was a well-defined theory Einstein's general theory of relativity.

而在宇宙学里 换句话说 有定义明确的理论 爱因斯坦的相对论

It was a very cold year and the ice on Verulamium Pond,it was frozen there and we all went skating.

那一年很冷 维鲁拉米恩池塘 都结了冰 我们一起出去滑冰

And Stephen managed to skate fairly well but then, he and I were close together.

史蒂芬滑的相当好 但是后来 他离我非常的近

He wasn't skating in a very advanced way but nor was I, if it comes to that.

他滑冰的水平不是很高 但我会那样滑

He fell and he couldn't get up.So I took him to a cafe to warm up and he told me then all about it.And it was diagnosed.

他摔倒了 爬不起来 我带着他来到咖啡馆暖身 他告诉我关于这件事的一切 并且是确诊的

I insisted on going to see his doctor because it seemed to me however long you're going to live.

我坚持要见他的医生 因为不管他还能活多久

there's probably something someone can do about it at least anyhow to make things easier for people.

我都想知道有没有什么方法或什么人能够帮助他 至少能让人更容易接受

I won't mention the doctor's name but I got to see him at the London Clinic.

我不想提医生的名字 我和他在伦敦的诊所见面

He was rather surprised that I should bother to come 'round to see him.After all, I was only Stephen's mother.

他见到我很惊奇 我竟然不辞劳苦地找到他 毕竟 我只是史蒂芬的母亲

He was quite nice. He agreed to see me in a rather grand way.And he said, "Yes, it's all very sad.

他非常友好 他同意和我正式会面 他说道 "是的 非常抱歉"

Brilliant young man cut off in the prime of his youth."But of course I said, "What can we do?What can we do to sort of"

"才华横溢的年轻人在他的年轻时即将陨落" 当然我问 "我们该怎么做"有什么我们可以做的"

Can we get physiotherapy?Can we get anything like that that will help in any way?"

"需要做理疗么" "有没有什么能帮到忙吗"

He said, "Well, actually, no.There's nothing I can do, really. More or less, that's it."

他说 "事实上 没有""真的 我不能帮上一点忙 差不多 就是这样"

重点讲解

1、attractive

(人)漂亮的,动人的,有魅力的

She's a very attractive woman.

她是个妩媚动人的女子。

I thought he was very attractive and obviously very intelligent.

我觉得他魅力非凡,才智过人。

(外形)漂亮的;(声音)优美的

The flat was small but attractive, if rather shabby.

虽然有些老旧,这仍不失为一个漂亮的小公寓。

The creamy white flowers are attractive in the spring.

在春天,这种乳白色的花朵分外迷人。

吸引人的;值得拥有(或做)的

Co-operation was more than just an attractive option, it was an obligation.

合作不仅仅是诱人的选择,它也是一种责任。

Smoking is still attractive to many young people who see it as glamorous.

吸烟对很多年轻人还是很有诱惑力,他们觉得这让自己显得魅力十足。


2、warm up

加热;使暖和;变暖和

He blew on his hands to warm them up.

他冲着双手哈气,好让手暖和些。

All that she would have to do was warm up the pudding.

她所需要做的就是把布丁加热。

(为体育比赛) 热身,做准备活动

In an hour the drivers will be warming up for the main event.

一个小时后车手们将做好准备参加这项重要的赛事。

Carl slipped a disc in his back while warming up.

热身时卡尔腰椎间盘不慎错位了。

(使)活跃起来;(使)兴奋起来;暖场

They would always come out and warm up the audience.

他们总是会出来调动观众情绪。

The crowd began to warm up.

人群开始活跃起来。

分享到
重点单词
  • pondn. 池塘 v. 筑成池塘
  • elementaryadj. 基本的,初级的,元素的
  • obligationn. 义务,责任
  • attractiveadj. 有吸引力的,引起注意的
  • advancedadj. 高级的,先进的
  • botanyn. 植物学,植物
  • botherv. 使恼怒,使不安,烦扰,费心 n. 烦扰,麻烦,焦急
  • primeadj. 最初的,首要的,最好的,典型的 n. 青春,壮
  • brilliantadj. 卓越的,光辉的,灿烂的 n. 宝石
  • fell动词fall的过去式 n. 兽皮 vt. 砍伐,击倒 a