(单词翻译:单击)
生命的意义
So I think the human mind and the meaning it creates...
因此我认为人类的心灵与其所创造的意义
arise from a large complex system operating to very simple rules.
来自一个复杂的大型系统 且根据相当简单的运作法则
Which means Descartes was right.
也就是说 笛卡尔是对的
The body and mind are different.
肉体与灵魂是不同的
The body and the brain are made out of physical matter.
身体和大脑是由实体物质构成的
The mind is a product of the ever-changing state of this matter.
心灵则是这些物质千变万化下的产物
Our body is the hardware.
我们的身体就是硬件
Our mind is the software.
我们的心灵则是软件
Just like the software that allows me to speak these words.
如同让我说出这些话的软件
But this does pose a problem:
但这又提出了一个问题
the problem of free will.
自由意志的问题
When I was a young man,my father wanted me to become a doctor like him.
当我还年轻时 我父亲希望我像他一样成为医生
But I chose to study physics instead.
但我反而选择研究物理学
Looking back,I'm pleased because as things worked out
回首过去 我很满意 因为就现在的情况来看
I would have made a pretty useless doctor.
我也没办法行医
So I made the right choice.
因此我的决定是正确的
Or did I choose at all?
但真的是我自己选择的吗?
Perhaps I am deluded about my own free will.
也许我被自己的自由意志蒙骗了
After all,if my mind follows the strict rules of nature
毕竟 我的心智若依据严谨的自然法则
maybe the path I chose was predetermined.
或许我选择的道路早已决定了
重点讲解
1、work out
想出,得到(解决方法);解(谜)
Negotiators are due to meet later today to work out a compromise.
谈判人员定于今天晚些时候进行会谈,商定一个折中方案。
It took me some time to work out what was causing this.
我花了一些时间才弄清此事的起因。
计算出,解出(数学题答案)
It is proving hard to work out the value of bankrupt firms' assets.
清算破产公司的资产值其实很困难。
When asked what a £40.35 meal for five people would cost each diner, they were unable to work it out.
问到5个人吃一顿饭花了40.35英镑,每人要出多少钱时,他们算不出来。
计算下来(为)
The price per pound works out at £3.20.
每磅价格合计3.20英镑。
It will probably work out cheaper to hire a van and move your own things.
租一辆面包车自己搬的话,算起来可能要更省钱些。

2、make out
(勉强地)辨认出,看出,听出
I could just make out a tall, pale, shadowy figure tramping through the undergrowth.
我只依稀看见一个高个的模糊身影穿过了矮树丛。
She thought she heard a name. She couldn't make it out, though.
她觉着听到了一个名字,却又没听清。
把…弄清楚;理解;明白
I couldn't make it out at all.
我一头雾水。
It is hard to make out what criteria are used.
很难弄清楚使用的是什么样的标准。
力图说成;努力证明
They were trying to make out that I'd actually done it.
他们正在努力证明我真的干过这件事。
I don't think it was as glorious as everybody made it out to be.
我觉得这件事并非像大家说的那么了不起。
