(单词翻译:单击)
时间简史
I'm not sure where the other way was.On the north side of the house was a bicycle shed.
我不是很确定那一条路在哪里 房子的北面是一间自行车棚
It had a door at the front and a door at the back.Above that,there was a window into the L-shaped room.
有前后门 车棚上面有个窗户通往L型的房间
and at the front you could get sort of around the corner onto the roof.And from that level you could get onto the main roof.
前面有个拐角你可以从那里 上到屋顶去 从那里 你能到达主楼屋顶
I think one of the ways Stephen could get in was on the main roof.
我想其中一条路是 史蒂芬可以从主楼屋顶进去
As I say, he was a much better climber than I was.I still didn't know what the 11th one was.
要我说 他比我会爬得多 我仍然不知道第11条路是什么
Before the 20th century it was thought that the universe had existed forever
在20世纪以前 人们认为宇宙会永远存在
or had been created at some time in the past.more or less as we observe it today.
或形成于过去某个时间点 跟我们今天观测到的差不多
People found comfort in the thought that even though they may grow old and die,the universe was eternal and unchanging.
人们觉得这样很有说服力 尽管他们会衰老和死亡 而宇宙是亘古不变的
I gave up playing games with Stephen.oh, when he was ill that time when he was about 12.
我不再和霍金玩那个游戏 那时候他生病了 大概12岁
because he started taking games terribly seriously.
因为他开始对游戏异常认真
We had Monopoly and first of all,the Monopoly board sprang railways going across it.
我们玩的是《大富翁》 首先 在《大富翁》棋盘上建起贯穿的铁路
To add to the complications.and then Monopoly just wasn't adaptable enough.
以增加复杂性 后来《大富翁》满足不了他的需求
He ended up with a fearful game called Dynasty which, as far as I can make out I never played it,went on forever because there was no way of ending it.
他开始玩更可怕的游戏《王朝》 我不会玩这种游戏 我从没玩过 他就会一直玩 因为这游戏没有终
It was almost a substitute for living, as far as I could make out.
在我看来 快要取代生活了
It took hours and hours and hours.I thought it was a perfectly terrible game.
他在游戏上花费一个又一个小时 我认为这是个非常可怕的游戏
I couldn't imagine anyone getting taken up with that.But Stephen always had a very complicated mind.
我难以想象有人能花这么多时间 但是史蒂芬有很复杂的思维
and I felt as much as anything,it was the complication of it that appealed to him.
我觉得就是因为 这种复杂度吸引了他
重点讲解
1、observe
(尤指为了解而)观察,观测
Stern also studies and observes the behaviour of babies.
斯特恩还研究观察婴儿的行为。
Are there any classes I could observe?
有我可以观摩的课吗?
(尤指就注意到或深思熟虑之事)说,评论,评述
We observe that the first calls for radical transformation did not begin until the period of the industrial revolution.
我们认为直到工业革命时期才出现了要求彻底变革的第一波呐喊。
'He is a fine young man,' observed Stephen.
“他是个很不错的小伙子,”斯蒂芬评论道。
遵守,奉行(法律、习俗等)
Imposing speed restrictions is easy, but forcing motorists to observe them is trickier.
限制车速容易,但强制司机遵守这些限速规定就难办多了。
The army was observing a ceasefire.
军队正遵守停火协议。

2、make out
(勉强地)辨认出,看出,听出
I could just make out a tall, pale, shadowy figure tramping through the undergrowth.
我只依稀看见一个高个的模糊身影穿过了矮树丛。
She thought she heard a name. She couldn't make it out, though.
她觉着听到了一个名字,却又没听清。
力图说成;努力证明
They were trying to make out that I'd actually done it.
他们正在努力证明我真的干过这件事。
I don't think it was as glorious as everybody made it out to be.
我觉得这件事并非像大家说的那么了不起。
证明(…是最好的);证实(…是对的)
You could certainly make out a case for this point of view.
你肯定能够证明这个观点。
Alice continued making out her case.
艾丽斯继续为自己证明。
