听电影《返老还童》学英语第30期:半夜的酒店
日期:2012-08-04 09:33

(单词翻译:单击)

原文欣赏

He died, um, sitting in his favorite chair...
他过身时坐在椅子上。
listening to his favorite program on the wireless.
听着他最爱的广播节目。
He must have known something.
他一定有预感。  
My husband's the British trade minister and we've been here for 1 4 months.
我先生是贸易局局长,我们待在这里有14个月了。
Good God. He were supposed to go to Peking...
天啊,我们应该去北京。
but, um, it never seemed to work out.
不过一直没有去成。  
Have you been in the Far East?
你去过远东吗?  
No. I've never been anywhere, really.
没,其实我哪儿都没去过。  
I mean, outside of harbors.
除了港口以外。  
And where is it that you're from?
你打哪儿来?  
I didn't know there was another.
新奥尔良只有一个。  
And she told me about all the places she had been, and what she had seen.
她告诉我她去过的地方,还有她看过什么。  
And we talked till just before the dawn.
我们一直聊到破晓之前。  
And we went back to our rooms...
然后我们各自回房间。
to our separate lives.
过着各自的生活。  
But every night, we'd meet again in that lobby.
不过每晚都会在大厅见面。  
A hotel in the middle of the night can be a magical place.
半夜的酒店是个神奇的地方。  
A mouse running and stopping.
老鼠在跑,然后停下来。  
A radiator hissing.
暖气发出嘶嘶声。  
A curtain blowing.
窗帘被风吹开。  
There's something peaceful, even comforting...
让人觉得很宁静,甚至很安慰。
knowing that the people you love are asleep in their beds...
因为你爱的人都睡着了。
where nothing can harm them.
什么都不会伤害他们。

妙语佳句
1.on the wireless
在无线电里听到
And as mobile devices and networks improve, a standards-based browser could become the dominant access software on the wireless internet as well.
随着移动设备和网络的进步, 一个基于标准的浏览器可能将同时成为无线互联网的主导浏览软件.
2.be supposed to
应该;被期望
It would be absurd that, while in estimating all other things quality is considered as well as quantity, the estimation of pleasure should be supposed to depend on quantity alone.
在评价其他所有事物时一并考虑质量和数量,而评价快乐时却只依赖数量,这样的做法将会是荒诞的。
3.have been in
呆在某个地方;去过某个地方
But there is another dimension to the issue that is not so often discussed.What if we have been in a bear market all along?
但是,这个话题还有另外一个并不经常被人谈及的层面,那就是:如果我们一直身处熊市,那又该怎么样?
4.outside of harbors
除了港口以外
outside of
在…的外面;超出…的范围
Then we start looking for something outside of ourselves.
我们开始探索外面的事物,用财产来寻求存在感。
5.lobby
大厅;休息室;会客室;游说议员的团体
But what if you could take a detour through a lobby that exhibits art, or down a lane that borders a green space?
但是,你愿不愿意绕道穿过一个陈列着艺术品的大厅,或者行走在一条毗邻绿色空间的小巷子?
考考你
翻译:
1.我们一直聊到破晓之前。     
2.半夜的酒店是个神奇的地方。 
上期答案:
1.Aren't you a little old to be working on a boat?
2.My father in his 80s, he was so convinced he was gonna die in his sleep.

分享到
重点单词
  • peacefuladj. 安宁的,和平的
  • convincedadj. 信服的
  • qualityn. 品质,特质,才能 adj. 高品质的
  • quantityn. 量,数量,大量
  • dominantadj. 占优势的,主导的,显性的 n. 主宰者
  • issuen. 发行物,期刊号,争论点 vi. & vt 发行,流
  • dimensionn. 尺寸,次元,容积,维度,范围,方面 vt. 标尺寸
  • curtainn. 窗帘,门帘,幕(布) vt. (用帘)装饰,(以帘
  • separaten. 分开,抽印本 adj. 分开的,各自的,单独的 v
  • absurdadj. 荒唐的 n. 荒唐