BBC英国史精讲《战国》第26期:强劲的复仇之火
日期:2016-10-29 19:21

(单词翻译:单击)

BBC英国史

Dunfermline Abbey is one of those places where you can almost smell tragedy in the stonework.

邓弗林修道院也是其中之一 你依然可以从那砖墙瓦缝间 嗅到历史的悲剧气息

Pretty much everything you see here was built, or rather rebuilt, after 1303.

你在此看到的一切 几乎都建造 或者说重建于1303年之后


It was in that year that Edward I,in one of his murderously vindictive tantrums, torched the place,burnt it to the ground.

也就是那一年 爱德华一世 强劲的复仇之火 在这熊熊燃烧 将整座修道院夷为平地

He was, as usual, making a point.

一如既往地 他想以此告诫敌人

To smash up a royal mausoleum was to strike directly at Scotland's sense of independent history.

摧毁一座皇家陵园 实际上是摧毁了苏格兰人民对独立民族史的认同感

The greatest symbol of that independence, as always, was Stirling.Its surrender took the fight out of the Scots.

一直以来 苏格兰独立的象征都是斯特林 它的沦陷使苏格兰人放弃了抵抗

In 1304, they submitted to Edward.Well, he must have thought, that was that.Done with Peace.A mistake.

1304年 他们选择了臣服 爱德华一定认为 事已至此 天下太平 他错了

For what Edward couldn't possibly have predicted was the emergence of a Scottish lion even more ruthless than the leopard himself.

爱德华料想不到的是 觉醒的苏格兰雄狮 比他这头英格兰猎豹 更加凶残

And he was, of course, the Bruce.

这头雄狮就是 布鲁斯

The strange thing, though, when you cashed the lord,the formidable strengths of Robert Bruce,his political cunning, his military ingenuity,

奇怪的是 当我们悉数这位君王的种种 他那令人生畏的力量 狡猾的政治手腕 干练的军事才能

his steely resolution, even his intermittent fits of rage,they all begun to sound rather like the attributes of a man whose work he'd sworn to undo.

坚毅的决心 甚至那乖戾的脾气 听起来 就像是在描述那位 与他誓不两立的人

Edward I.If he'd read the book of Edward's life,he would have known that lesson number one

爱德华一世 如果他曾研究过爱德华的生平 会发现其中的第一课便是

was not beat the foreigner,it was first win your battles at home.

攘外 必先安内

词汇解析

1、smash up

砸碎;砸毁;捣毁

She took revenge on her ex-boyfriend by smashing up his home.

为了报复,她砸了前任男友的家。

You could smash the drawer up with a hammer.

可以用锤子把抽屉砸开。

撞毁(汽车等)

All you told me was that he'd smashed up yet another car.

你告诉我的事情就是他又撞毁了一辆车。


2、attribute

把…归因于;把…归咎于

Women tend to attribute their success to external causes such as luck.

女性倾向于将她们的成功归因于外部因素,比如运气。

认为(文章、艺术品或评论)出自…

This, and the remaining frescoes, are not attributed to Giotto.

这个,还有那些残存的湿壁画,都不是乔托的作品。

a Madonna and Child attributed to Pietro Lorenzetti.

被认为出自彼得罗·洛伦泽蒂之手的作品《圣母子》

(人或物的)品质,特征

Cruelty is a normal attribute of human behaviour.

残忍是人的天性之一。

He has every attribute you could want and could play for any team.

他具备你想要的所有品质,放在哪个队都行。

分享到