BBC英国史精讲《王朝》第18期:如此痛彻心扉
日期:2016-09-17 20:59

(单词翻译:单击)

BBC英国史

The last meeting between the king and Becket took place on the banks of the River Loire.

国王和贝克特之间最后一次见面 是在卢瓦尔河岸

And in a mood of sad friendliness the king says to Becket,You know, if only you could do what I tell you to do,I'd entrust you with everything.

国王悲伤而友好地对贝克特说 只要你能遵从我的意思 我仍会全心全意地信任你


No reply and one imagines a long pause, a sigh,a shrug of the shoulders and the king goes on,well, go in peace

对方没有回应 沉默了好一阵后 国王叹了口气 他耸了耸肩 继续说 好吧 你走吧

and we shall meet in Rouen or in England.

我们在鲁昂或英格兰再见吧

Then another pause and Becket comes out with something absolutely amazing.

接着又沉默了一会 贝克特便语出惊人

He says, My lord, if we part on these terms,we shall not meet again in this life.

他说 我的陛下 如果我们还是各执己见 那我们这辈子还是别见面了

And the royal temper flares up and Henry says,Why, do you take me for a traitor?

亨利二世突然大发雷霆 为什么 你把我和叛徒相提并论吗

Meaning, "Do you suppose I'll abandon you when I've given you my protection?

我已经给了你我的庇护 难道你以为我会再次抛弃你吗

And Becket looks at the king and says, Heaven forbid.

贝克特看着国王说 但愿不会

And I think, as he allowed that parting shot so full of pained sincerity and wiseguy irony,

在我看来 既然他的临别之言 如此痛彻心扉和充满讽刺

Becket must have made the sign of the cross.

贝克特肯定已划过十字 打定了主意

Thomas Becket's ship came into the harbour at Sandwich,probably on the morning of december 1st, 1170,

大约在1170年12月1日早上 托马斯·贝克特坐船来到桑威治港

and was greeted not only by a throng of poor people but by three royal officials armed to the teeth.

迎接他的不只有一大群穷人 还有三个全副武装的王家官员

词汇解析

1、come out

(书或光盘)出版,发行

The book comes out this week.

这本书本周出版。

Christian Slater has a new movie coming out next month in which he plays a vigilante.

克里斯汀·史莱特有一部新片下月发行,他在片中扮演一个治安维持会成员。

(事实)暴露,披露,显露

The truth is beginning to come out about what happened.

真相开始逐渐浮出水面。

It will come out that she has covertly donated considerable sums to the IRA.

她暗中给爱尔兰共和军提供了大笔资助的事情即将曝光。

结果是;到头来

In this grim little episode of recent American history, few people come out well.

在美国近代史上这一小段阴暗时期,很少有人能有好的结果。

So what makes a good marriage? Faithfulness comes out top of the list.

那么,是什么造就了美满的婚姻呢?结果表明忠诚是第一位的。


2、suppose

假定;假设;设想

Suppose someone gave you an egg and asked you to describe exactly what was inside.

假设有人给了你一枚鸡蛋并要你准确描述鸡蛋里面有什么。

Supposing he's right and I do die tomorrow? Maybe I should take out an extra insurance policy.

假设他是对的,我确实明天就会死,那该怎么办?也许我应该再买一份保险。

(根据所知)认为,推断,料想

The policy is perfectly clear and I see no reason to suppose that it isn't working.

这项政策非常清楚明了,我没有理由认为它不会奏效。

I knew very well that the problem was more complex than he supposed.

我很清楚那个问题比他料想的要更复杂。

分享到