(单词翻译:单击)
听力文本
And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目
On today’s show, we go into the home!
在今天的节目中,我们走进家里!
We talk about a common object that gives us some useful expressions.
我们谈论一个常见的物品,它给了我们一些有用的短语
That object is a rug.
那个物品是地毯
Rugs are floor coverings that serve many purposes in a home.
地毯是在家里有多种用途的地板覆盖物
They add color and style to a room.
它们为房间增添色彩和风格
They protect the floor.
它们保护地板
Rugs can make a home more comfortable and quiet.
地毯可以让家更舒适、更安静
They can also make a slippery floor safer to walk on.
它们还可以让滑滑的地板走起来更安全
But since they are on the floor, rugs can trap a lot of dirt.
但由于地毯是铺在地板上的,所以它们可能会吸附很多灰尘
When we clean the floor, it is a good idea to remove the rugs first.
当我们打扫地板时,最好先把地毯拿掉
This way, you can sweep away all the stuff that gets trapped under it.
这样,你就可以把被困在它下面的所有东西都清扫掉
But if you don’t have time or are feeling a little lazy, you can always clean the floor quickly and just sweep around the rug.
但如果你没有时间或者感觉有点懒,你可以一直快速地打扫地板,只需扫一扫地毯
The dirt under the rug cannot be seen.
地毯下面的灰尘是看不见的
It’s like it's not there.
就像它不存在一样
And that brings us to our first expression: “to sweep something under the rug.”
这就引出了我们的第一个短语:“to sweep something under the rug”
When we “sweep something under the rug,” we try to hide something.
当我们“把某些东西扫到地毯下面”时,我们试图隐藏一些东西
What kinds of things do we try to hide?
我们试图隐藏哪些东西呢?
Things that are illegal, unethical, embarrassing, or just wrong.
违法的、不道德的、令人尴尬的或错误的事情
For example, the corrupt politician won re-election because he swept all his failures and dirty dealings under the rug.
例如,那个腐败的政客赢得了连任,因为他把所有的失败和肮脏的交易都掩盖了起来
Here is another example:
下面是另一个例子:
Before meeting her new boyfriend’s family, my friend carefully and completely swept all her past mistakes under the rug.
在见她新男友的家人之前,我的朋友小心翼翼地彻底隐瞒了她过去所有的错误
She wanted a fresh start.
她想要一个新的开始
She decided to keep her complex past hidden.
她决定隐瞒自己复杂的过去
You might also hear someone say “brush something under the rug.”
你可能还会听到有人说“brush something under the rug”
The word “brush” in this case means to clean something off.
“brush”在这里的意思是清洁某物
Now, as we said earlier, one purpose of a rug it to make the floor safer.
正如我们前面所说的,地毯的一个用途是让地板更安全
But there are also ways that a rug can be dangerous.
但地毯也可能是危险的
If someone pulls a rug out from under your feet, you most likely would fall.
如果有人从你的脚下把地毯抽掉,你很可能会摔倒
And you could get hurt.
你可能会受伤
So, when we “pull the rug from under someone's feet,” we put that person in a difficult and unexpected situation.
因此,当我们“从某人的脚下把地毯抽掉”时,我们把那个人置于一个困难和意想不到的境地
We suddenly take away support or help from them.
我们突然夺走了他们的支持或帮助
For example, I felt like someone had pulled the rug out from under my feet when I found out my apartment building was being torn down.
例如,当我发现我的公寓楼要被拆除时,我感觉就像有人从我的脚下把地毯抽掉
I had only one week to find a new place to live!
我只有一周的时间去找一个新的住处!
You can also say, “to pull the rug out from under someone.”
你也可以说“to pull the rug out from under someone
It means the same thing.
意思是一样的
We finish today’s program not with another expression but with a joke.
我们不是用另一个短语而是用一个笑话来结束今天的节目
As we discussed earlier, a rug covers and protects the floor.
正如我们前面所讨论的,地毯覆盖和保护地板
But the word “cover” has many meanings.
但是“cover”这个词有很多含义
“Cover” can also mean to give protection or to pay for something.
“Cover”也可以指提供保护或为某物付钱
So, let’s say I go out to dinner with a friend and she forgets money.
假设我和一个朋友出去吃饭,她忘记带钱了
I can say, “I have money. I’ve got this covered.”
我可以说,“我有钱
That means I will pay.
它的意思是我会付钱
Here is another example:
下面是另一个例子:
Some home insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
有些房屋保险单不包括洪水损失
The policies do not protect against high water damage.
这些保单列明不保障因高水位而造成的损害
Knowing that definition of “cover” helps you understand this joke.
知道“cover”的定义可以帮助你理解这个笑话
Once there was an old floor in an old house.
从前,在一座老房子里有一层旧地板
It learned that the owner of the house wanted to put in a new floor.
它了解到房子的主人想换一层新地板
The floor cried and cried about the bad news.
听到这个坏消息,地板都哭了
Hearing the floor crying, the rug wanted to make the floor feel better.
听到地板在哭,地毯想让地板感觉好一点
So, what did the rug say to the floor?
地毯对地板说了什么呢?
“Don’t worry. I’ve got you covered.”
“别担心
That joke is a pun on the word “cover."
那个笑话用了“cover”一词的双关语
And that’s all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time … I’m Anna Matteo.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!